Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've inheirted the responsibility for taking care of my lady's Camry. It's about to hit 60k, so I figured I'd buy all the parts and take care of what I can do, and have my mechanic do the rest. But, depending on what I read, I can't figure out what needs to be done. Best I can figure out is:
oil and filter (of course every 3k)
air filter (it is dirty)
tranny service (flush it - do I need the whole tranny filter kit?)
coolant flush
sparks (although this was done at 30k but I think replaced with regular, not platinum plugs - any advice on what to replace them with?)

What I don't know is if I should replace:
PCV valve (can't find any recommendations on that)
Fuel filter (doesn't seem to be anything on that either)
Timing belt (manual says 90k, dealer says 60k - dealer also said as long as I'm in there to do the water pump - are they especially weak on this model?)

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate any guidance.

Steven

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
Timing belt you should follow the manual (90K), the dealer will tell you to change it earlier to rip you off.

I don't think the newer 1MZ-FE (V6) need to change water pump as I didn't have to change mine and mine's a 96.

Fuel filter you can change it if you want to. Some dealer will tell you they don't even change it at all.

Spark plugs regular platnum OEM ones are fine.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
you can pull the pcv valve out and check to see if it's still clean and maybe spray some cleaner in it too keep it happy. i also say clean out the tb with some carb cleaner, i dont think you have to flush the tranny maybe just drain and new filter is so inclined to do so it's a rather new car i dont think it would need that, from my understanding the 97+ 1mz-fe's needed timming belts every 100k heck i'm kinda ashamed to say i still have my stock belt in my 96 with 120k ... going to be another month till i have enough money to replace the punk ... there also a egr filter that might need cleaning

1 - 3 of 3 Posts