Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed Edmunds states the '01 has a city range of 376.2 miles (605 kms). But I've only ever averaged about 400 kms (249 miles).

Is my vehicle the norm and Edmunds wrong? Or has there been something wrong with my vehicle all these years?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I'm pretty sure my tank is 65 litres capacity.

400km @ 65 litres = 14.48 mpg

That's pretty bad isn't it?

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
Oh, my gosh, there's so many variables to consider when figuring out whether your mileage is within reason or not. Can you provide more details about where you drive, how you drive, etc., and be as specific as possible?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, my gosh, there's so many variables to consider when figuring out whether your mileage is within reason or not. Can you provide more details about where you drive, how you drive, etc., and be as specific as possible?
My bad, guess I should've been way more specific. Here goes...

I'm near Toronto, Canada. Super cold right now. My typical day is as follows:

Morning:
Warm up vehicle for about 3 minutes before driving wife to work 2 kms away and then myself to work (another 5 kms away).

Noon:
Go get lunch - usually 1 kms round trip

Evening:
Warm up vehicle for about 1 min and then driving home - about 5 kms.

Repeat until tank is empty.

My driving style, I guess I would categorize as above average. I usually out-accelerate everyone and do about 10km/h above the limit. No real hard braking though.

·
Resident Nutcase
12,146 Posts
Am I the only 1 staring at the 375 mile city range wondering, Huh? :lol:...I only get that on the highway when I'm getting 24+mpg...:lol: I get less than 200 miles per tank in the city, and my car is rated higher than yours in terms of MPG's.

Thats WAY over what it actually is. Your car is rated for 16MPG city/21MPG Highway (V6 AWD), and you have a 19.8 gallon (~75L). The gauge is going to show empty with about ~2 maybe 3 gallons left in the tank, so you really only have about 17 gal (~64L) of normal gas per tank. So your range is only about 272 miles really, 316 miles if you use the full 20 gallons. I can easily see you getting 14.5mpg on an 13 year old car, thats only 1.5 below the EPA rating.

As for edmunds...I'm not sure what edmunds you were looking at :lol:
http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/highlander/2001/features-specs.html?style=100001865

·
Registered
88 Posts
HA! I live in Sault Ste. Marie and my driving consists of a 50km round trip 3-4 times a week depending. thats almost all steady 80 km/h driving yet i am happy when i get anywhere near 350 km to a tank. The sad truth is these cars are getting older, parts arnt working like they are supposed to anymore, and its fr!#kn cold in canada right now. All of these things are going to kill fuel economy.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Short trips won't allow car to fully warmup. Accelerating faster than everyone and above speed limit also won't help. No need to warmup the car for 3 minutes, driving moderately will warm the engine faster than idling. Engine will warmup faster under a load.

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
Short trips won't allow car to fully warmup. Accelerating faster than everyone and above speed limit also won't help. No need to warmup the car for 3 minutes, driving moderately will warm the engine faster than idling. Engine will warmup faster under a load.
I totally agree. Based on ThaiM's daily driving, that kind of driving in cold temperatures is an absolute mileage killer, and also the type of driving that will clog up fuel injectors over time. Only alternative...seriously... is to buy something that is a higher mileage vehicle like a Corolla or Civic.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I drive 33 km's to work, Guelph to Waterloo, and in this cold I average about 450 km's/ tank. This past summer by comparison, I was able to squeeze 600km's out of the tank managing to put in 69.8 liters at the pump, (that was one stressful drive). I think Traildust nailed it with all the cold and idling this year.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I drive 33 km's to work, Guelph to Waterloo, and in this cold I average about 450 km's/ tank. This past summer by comparison, I was able to squeeze 600km's out of the tank managing to put in 69.8 liters at the pump, (that was one stressful drive). I think Traildust nailed it with all the cold and idling this year.
Hmmm... Even in the summer I've never gone over 500 kms. Might just be time for a thorough tune-up.

I'm also in Guelph!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nice, what area of Guelph?

I should mention I used to take the back way down through Maryhill avoiding highway 7 as much as possible. It's generally a quiet drive with few stop lights. I've since moved to central Guelph from the east end which makes it a little tougher getting out of town. I would still imagine I could stretch my tank a little further then the in town driving that you do. My wife's Odyssey has a hard time returning over 400km's/ tank with the in town driving she does.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in the east end. Could sure use a grocery store over here! :(

Your '01 V6, is it AWD? I think that would make a big difference too. Mine is AWD. I can't fathom the thought of squeezing out 600km.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yup, V6 4wd.

There is an empty lot across from the east end GPL that was slated to be a large Zhers, but, from what we know, those plans were dropped to expand the Eramosa Zhers. I don't think there is any further development on that. The open field that surrounds that GPL is being developed as a town house and low rise apartment community, (my neighbors always kept an eye on what was going on around them). I just moved from Creekside Dr. We felt your pain without a grocery store for 7 years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yikes, OP. All of those short trips are superbad for your engine. It takes about 15 minutes for the oil to reach operating temperature. Not saying you should do anything differently, just FYI.

·
Registered
113 Posts
How do you measure your car as empty? Until the car stop running or when fuel indicator is on? My '01 V6 AWD always have only 150km per 30 liters. I recently did an internal cleanup, and still observing the fuel consumption.

·
Registered
213 Posts
From all I have read our Highlander has a 70 liter tank. I know that if my low fuel indicator comes on, I can make it to work (33 km's) and will manage to pump in around 69 liters. So from that and to answer your question, for me it's 30 km's after the indicator light comes on.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for your info, mike. However, can you trust the filling station? Does 69 liters on the counter mean 69 liters in your tank? Businessmen always cheat. When my fuel gauge points at the last mark, I still can pour in 60 liters. We accept that as a fact, and always measure the mileage accordingly. The method here is; get a full tank then drive for 60 miles (100 km), then get the tank full again. The number of liter we pour in to get it full is the number of liter it consumes in 60 miles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
8 Participants
SteelBird
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing