Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gents,
Just recently purchased my first vehicle (just turned 18 last month, legal...finally;)), an '01 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 4Cyl 2.7L w/Bedliner & 38000 mi, a serious upgrade from the hand-me-down mitsu minivan that I was driving, and I must say that comparitively and generally I am very impressed and pleased.

My question though is, just how much "off-roading" can my truck handle? Most importantly, should I be able to take her on the beach, being that I live in Va beach? I was told that if I bled some air out of the tires I should be fine on the sand. Is this true?

Being that I'm 18 and she's my first truck I have limited off-roading tech knowledge, so some tips would be much appreciated as well. Although I'm fairly proficient as a mechanic, not an expert by any means but definitely have a decent mechanical ability.

Thanks in advanced for the help, and I must say I'm proud to be a Tacoma owner. I can think of anything better in an 18y/o's mind though than him, a girl, and his truck taking a romp on the beach except maybe; him, two girls, and his truck taking a romp on the beach.;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well I have to say that I am in your same position... almost. I too am testing my off road ability but I havn't done much other than some nice 'n rough dirt roads. I live an area that doesn't have much space to off road on, and if there is a spot, it's usually ilegal and the cops here get bored fast ;-) So wanting to be a cop, I don't exactly want to push my luck. But I've heard that it can handle a lot for what it is, but just don't try to tackle anything big without a friend with a 4x4 around to help tow you out, i.e. rock climbing. As for the sand I have no idea personally. I did run into an old friend that has a Tacoma Double cab that took his on the sand and he did well until he hit the deep stuff, and then got stuck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts