Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed some new brake pads and rotors on my neighbors 01 Sequoia.

I bought Advance Auto Parts Wearever Rotors (2 year warranty) and Wagner Ceramic pads for the front and Wearever Gold Semi-Metallic pads for the rear.

I get everything done, and take it for a short drive to bed in the new brake pads on the rotors. When I get back from a less than a mile drive (just a short drive at first because I wanted to make sure everything was ok) the front passenger side brake is billowing smoke!

What would be causing this? The old brake pads and rotor showed no signs of a stuck caliper and all 4 pistons were very easy to push in. I put the new rotor on, pressed 1 side (2 pistons) in first with the old pad on the other side to keep the pistons in, then put the new pad in. Then repeated the same for the other side. Put everything back together. Only issue I had was I got the anti rattle clip stuck in between the caliper pin that holds the brake pads in place so I had to put all new hardware in. Could I have possibly bent the pin and would that be causing the pads to stick and smoke?

Also, just to check and see if maybe I got a defective new rotor, I put the old rotor (which I had turned but it was passed the discard limit) and old pad on and went for the same drive and when I got back, it wasn't smoking, but did kinda smell a little, but not much, but it had also started to rain so not sure 100%. I am going to take it back out tomorrow for a little drive to see if it doesn't smoke with the old rotor and pad.

Any ideas as to what could be the problem? Or what I did wrong? All 3 other brakes are just fine and working great. The car does not pull to one side and seems like it drives fine.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
my guess is that its just burning off what material/oil that they packed the rotors in. they put oil or something on the rotors to prevent them from rusting, give it a couple days and it will go away. ive heard it suggested that you should have new rotors turned prior to installation to avoid what your experiencing. in some cases the oils that your smelling can get into the brake pads and cause them to harden or glass over. ive always done what you did though, shouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Dont buy that, Cleaning the rotor with brake cleaner is quite sufficient. Are the spring clips that the brake pads ride in free? Also do the new brake pads float freely in these clips? The last thing is the support rods that go through the pads, are they worn or not greased.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts