Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so pissed at Toyota! I attempted to service my 4Runner today and discovered I can not get my standard-sized greasegun hose fitting to fit between the universal joints. There's not enough room between the U-Joints to get my grease gun to attach. What a clusterF...

Specifically, the U-joints that attach the transfer case to the rear driveshaft.
There's two joints and they're both culprits. All of the other joint are OK, and will allow a standard grease gun access...

So, now I'm wondering, what do the Toyota Service depts. do? Do they have a special, narrow-bodied grease fitting that will worm it's way in between the joints, or do they drop the drive shaft to get in there? Or worse, ignore servicing them?

Anyone?

Thanks,
Bob.

·
Tailgating You
548 Posts
I have never worried about doing that on my 4Runner...
I remember reading an '81 service manual for a LandCruiser, and it only specifies doing that after going over sand, deep mud or water etc.
Never read anything about that for the 4Runner...but if it is important, i'm sure that Toyota has a way of doing it. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, don't worry, be happy.

But, both my Chiltons Guide *and* my Owner's Manual say this is required service at 5K mile intervals. (OK, so I wont do it *that* often...). I do want to be able to service this myself...

·
Tailgating You
548 Posts
If Chiltons doesn't tell you how to do it...there must be a reason why Toyota doesn't want you doing it...i'll go through my manual again... :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, my bad. I should have said that my Chilton's guide for my (previously owned) '98 4Runner stated the interval. I no longer own that truck, and servicing the U-Joints on it were never a problem. A standard grease gun worked fine for all joints. It's only this newer '02 that has a service problem... Thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts