Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, today I noticed on our '02 camry that the plastic interior door handle release on the passenger side has broken. Of coarse, the warranty just expired as well. This appears to have broken due to thermal expansion/contraction. Has anyone else had this happen? Any idea how hard it would be to replace?

·
Resident slacker
2015 Highlander
559 Posts
I've never pulled the whole handle part out, but I can help you with getting the door panel off.

You have one screw on the side of the door toward the front of the car, in the groove where the door meets the dashboard. Just pop the little cap off and unscrew. Then remove the liner (little rubber thingy) from inside of the pocket in the plastic part of the door (where the electrical switches go). Remove that screw. One more, this one is rather well hidden. Get a flathead screwdriver and CAREFULLY pop out the backing behind the door handle... it's the part on the inside of the handle itself, it's actually a seperate piece. Remove that screw.

Then, gently pry at the bottom of the door.. you'll have 5-6 clips around the bottom to pull out. Once those are free, lift the inside cover off.

There will be 2 cables attached to the door panel, one for the handle to the door, and one for the manual switch for the door lock. They should be easy to remove, just pull out the plastic piece on the edge of the cable sheathing off of the location on the door where it's clipped on. Just FYI, the purpose of this part is to hold the cable sheathing stationary, so the cable can be pulled by the handle and actually move inside of the sheath, to activate the mechanics on the other side. Think brake cables or gear shift cables on a bike... same concept.

Then guide the little spherical ends of the cables out of their respective holes on both cable runs.

That should get you where you need to be. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts