Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

My sister has an 02 Corolla, and a couple days ago, it started doing the strangest thing I've ever seen a car do... After a few blocks/miles of driving, the car will die... engine just stops turning, and won't re-start.. After waiting a few minutes, you can usually get it to start again, but it'll just die within a few hundred feet after that point.

It doesn't sputter like it's starved for air or fuel, it just shuts down.. yesterday, I took it for a drive to try and diagnose the problem, and I was cruising down a road at 40 mph,and suddenly the tach drops to zero.. I didn't feel even the slightest hesitation or warning sign...

We let it sit for about an hour and started it again.. this time it died within a block or two, and as I was coasting down the road, it re-started the engine twice without me turning the key (I left it in drive as we rolled down the street).. after the third time the engine died, it wouldn't restart for about 15 min, and then we got just enough juice to roll it into a church parking lot 2 doors down the street...

Anyone ever experienced anything like this? Clearly the problem is electrical, but I have no idea where to start with diagnosing it. Anyone got a point in the right direction for me?

Sadly, the guys at autozone weren't able to find an error code because the problem isn't kicking the check engine light on permanently.. so I doubt the dealer will find one either..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds to me like the alternator isnt charging the battery causing the vehicle to run off just the battery. Get both the alternator/battery tested. If its not those, then we shall move on to other solutions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds to me like the alternator isnt charging the battery causing the vehicle to run off just the battery. Get both the alternator/battery tested. If its not those, then we shall move on to other solutions.

If it were an alternator problem the battery would die and you wouldn't be able to crank it after it died.. that's not the case.. the engine will crank and crank, but won't restart...

Sorry, I just realized I didn't mention that in my first post.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Check your grounds. It might even be a loose ground wire on the battery.

·
Registered
02 Camry LE
324 Posts
hm

have you figured it out yet?
yea check your grounds, fuses, and wires, does everything in the vehicle die when the engine does? like lights and fans and whatever?

·
<3 My subie!! >.<
03 Camry SE
846 Posts
Sadly, the guys at autozone weren't able to find an error code because the problem isn't kicking the check engine light on permanently.. so I doubt the dealer will find one either..
LMAO!! live in snowy area? wires may be soaked in water casuing electrical shortage of cars power..GUARENTEE dealer know problem. if dont, be fired workin for toyota!! LOL :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts