Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading the excellent information on the flakey temperature control nob (which I haven't fixed yet but will shortly) I thought I would register and throw a few questions out.

I have an '02 3.0L Highlander with 209000~ km on the odo. The CEL has been on for as long as I've owned the vehicle. The previous ownwer told me he was told by Toyota that an O2 sensor needed to be replaced, but from my ODBII reader I get the following.

P0174 ~ System too lean (Bank 2)
P0141 ~ O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0768 ~ Shift Solenoid D Electrical
P0136 ~ O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P1153 ~ A/F Sensor Circuit Response Malfunction

I have a few questions. Bank 1 Sensor 2 is located where? Today, I had what I believe to be an O2 Sensor disconnect. It is located right before my catalytic converter (I think, I'm not mechanically inclined at all), on the driver side, just a bit back from the driver's seat. One of the pins looks sheared, although a long time ago and the other threaded rod looks like, but the nut has gone missing.

Is that one sensor the cause of the System too Lean and O2 Sensor malfunctions? Also, the fact that it completely disconnected is possibly the cause of the A/F circuit malfunction?

I'm not sure what Shift Solenoid D Electrical means. The vehicle shift nob works fine but turns on the CEL as soon as it is moved. What's broken?

Now the most troubling problem I'm having is with my brake pedal. Under light, sustained braking the pedal kicks back and makes noise. Under medium/heavy breaking this isn't an issue. I know it sounds like warped rotors (or some other part that I can't remember the name of) but it feels like it's coming from directly behind the pedal. My ABS doesn't seem to kick in under heavy breaking either which is mildly concerning. The vehicle stops great, even under wet/snowy conditions but the noise is irregular and the dealership here just did a $1200 brake replacement on all four wheels.

My A/C light is flashing when activated. Does this indicate that system needs to be refilled or something else?

I love this vehicle even though I seems the previous owner's active neglect has left me with what feels like a lemon.

Thanks for any information!

Cheers,

Pierre

·
Registered
242 Posts
You might as well replace both A/F ratio sensors and the oxygen sensor. Sounds like one of the tone rings on the rear axles have cracked and is spinning on axle. For some reason the RT side seems to be more common. Cant help on the solenoid code. If your A/C MG CLUTCH relay part # ends in 022 replace with new part #ending with 028{ in fuse box next to batt.} Ill assume the belt isnt loose or compressor seized.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might as well replace both A/F ratio sensors and the oxygen sensor. Sounds like one of the tone rings on the rear axles have cracked and is spinning on axle. For some reason the RT side seems to be more common. Cant help on the solenoid code. If your A/C MG CLUTCH relay part # ends in 022 replace with new part #ending with 028{ in fuse box next to batt.} Ill assume the belt isnt loose or compressor seized.
I'm mechanically ignorant (though willing to learn). Are these parts you suggest replacing DIY or mechanic to do so? I'm not even sure where what you've mentioned is located.

Thanks for the prompt response!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I read through the HL forums here I'm realizing that my poor vehicle is under-maintained. It's likely that the original sensors are still in, which is likely the issue. Where can I see how many I would have to replace. I'm going to have to replace one of the sheared pins for mounting the O2 sensor behind the catalytic converter as I replace the sensor itself.

·
Registered
414 Posts
T-SB-0398-09
December 23, 2009

Engine Bank 1 and Bank 2 A/F and O2 Identification

Service
Category Engine/Hybrid System

Section Engine Control
Market USA

Applicability

YEAR(S) MODEL(S) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
1993 – 2010 4Runner, Avalon,
Camry, FJ Cruiser,
Highlander, Highlander
HV, Land Cruiser,
MR2 Spyder, RAV4,
Sequoia, Sienna,
Solara, Supra, T100,
Tacoma, Tundra

TSB SUPERSESSION NOTICE

The information contained in this TSB supersedes TSB No. EG034-07.

Applicability has been updated to include 2009 – 2010 model year vehicles and 2006 – 2010model year Highlander HV.
TSB No. EG034-07 is Obsolete and any printed versions should be discarded. Be sure to reviewthe entire content of this service bulletin before proceeding.

Introduction

This service bulletin provides information on the proper identification of engine bank 1 and engine
bank 2 for correct A/F sensor and oxygen sensor replacement.

This bulletin contains information that identifies engine bank 1 and engine
bank 2 on the following engines:
1AZ-FE, 2AZ-FE, 2AZ-FE (PZEV), 1GR-FE, 2GR-FE, 2JZ-GE, 1MZ-FE, 3MZ-FE, 1UR-FE, 3UR-FE,
2UZ-FE, 5VZ-FE, and 1ZZ-FE.

Bank 1 (B1) refers to the bank that includes cylinder No. 1.

Bank 2 (B2) refers to the bank opposite bank 1.

Sensor 1 (S1) refers to the sensor that is located before the catalytic converters.

Sensor 2 (S2) refers to the sensor that is located after the catalytic converters.
© 2009 Toyota Motor Sales, USA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
sienna1
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing