Toyota Nation Forum banner

02 Sequoia 2wd... need to have some traction

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sequoiasoon 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a 2002 Limited 2wd. I am wanting it to be able to take the fire roads and trails that I am on sometimes for my outdoor activities like Climbing, Kayaking and such. I know selling it and buying 4wd is probably smarter but it was a gift from the wife and I really don't have the option right now. I plan on having this vehicle for 5-7 Years. Think a Prerunner Sequoia.

What I have done so far:
Added tires, 265/75/R16 (roughly 32") GY Wranger Authority's. Aggressive AT
Added a VSC diable switch so I can spin the tires when needed/ rock it if I am stuck. The VSC and TRAC keep me from being able to do this. I leave it on unless I need it. I know VSC is a good safety feature.

What I want to do:
Add a small 2" lift
Limited slip or selectable locker also regear.
Possible winch if I can find a mount.

So my questions are:
Where to get the lift, best cost to product ratio
What limited slip or selectable locker fits? I have an A01A axle so that is a 8" 2 pinion with 3.42 gears.
What Gear Ration is best for MPG vs power needed for the tires. 3.42 struggles with the tires. I am thinking 4.10 or 4.37's

Who makes a winch mount for the 1gen sequoia.

Thanks for the help, I will post pics as I develop it. If i am in the wrong place please let me know and I can repost elsewhere.

Thanks,

Tommy

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't help you much on lift or gear ratio's. I've read many Sequoia/Tundra getting the Bilstein 5100's which are adjustable for height. TRD/Kazuma/Eaton made a heavier duty (stiffer springs) mechanical limited slip differential that would probably help you out a lot especially when the VSC defeat is on.

Mine has stock 265/70/16 (and 265/65/17) so about 30.5" and whatever it came geared with seems to work fine on mine. Many thread discussions on tundrasolutions.com about off road. Check the gen1 Sequoia and gen1 Tundra threads as well as the drivetrain ones. A couple calls to west coast diffs, randys pinion and some others and they can probably set you up good with a diff and gear change especially since yours is only 2WD.

Haven't seen any mass market winch mounts/bumpers. Best bet might be a "portable" one with a receiver mount for rear. I know way back in TS there were some that had some front mount receivers installed but of course custom.

If funds become available I'd like to get some maxtrax before hitting the beach. Seen them in use and man they make getting unstuck a lot easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.