Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Sienna. The transmission was rebuilt at 85,000 miles. I now have 100K and seemingly since the rebuild I have this problem. When the van is cold or has sat for 4 hours, upon taking off, the van feels like it wants to stay in first gear for about 1/2 mile staying below 30 mph. After something heats up, the problem goes away, shifting normally for the rest of my drive. I can eliminate the problem if I start the car and let it warm up for 5 minutes. I've had it back to the transmission shop several times now and they inspect and say it is not a transmission pr:sosad:eek:blem.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This is inherent problem with Sienna i believe upto 2003.
I have 2001 XLE, i have made a habit to start for about 2-3 minutes minimum before driving the van. It's actually more obseving in these Siennas than other corolla or civics. There is no solution for this.
I see once your temp. needle goes little above C, it is fine.

·
Registered
Sienna, Echo
21 Posts
It's not a defect and it's not a problem. It is a consequence of tightened emissions requirements. The computer for the transmission inhibits the shifting until the coolant temperature reaches a predetermined level. This helps the catalytic converter to light off faster.

All 1st gen Siennas do this, I don't know about later ones.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What do you meant by "This helps the catalytic converter to light off faster".
Is it for long life of catalytic convertor.

·
Registered
242 Posts
nolan,
i noticed our 2002 van a bit slow shifting out of the low gears during the winter.

as the weather has warmed up i no longer notice it or i have gotten used to it.

i had the transmission flushed at 60k then again at 110k

van runs great, best vehicle we have ever had.

saw another 2002 van on autotrader with only 25K miles, almost when to look at it, but i know the one i have has had full maintenance and should be ready to go onto 150K with no problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I have the same problem when my 02 -sienna is cold, it will not shift up to higher gears and if I try to push on the gas then I can hear a very loud ticking noise ( which is not normal ) I think it is coming from the Engine or maybe the transmission, my question is what if you have an emergency and you wanted to drive without warming up the car, this become very serious issue and maybe you end up damaging the car given the loud ticking noise upon pushing on the gas. I am the first owner and the car runs great once temp-needle goes little above C, as mentioned by atifkm. I just wanted to know your input on what is the correct way to deal with this annoying ticking issue and if there is a defect part that need to be replaced – Thanks
AJY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts