Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '03 XLS that has been showing odd symptoms. A week ago I had multiple codes (P0456, P0110, P0442, P0100). I found that the intake hoses between the air filter and the throttle bodies were badly cracked. While they were out I de-gunked the throttle bodies and shot a bunch of carb cleaner into the idle control valve port. Once the intake tubes were replaced I reset the codes and the car ran great for a for several days. The CEL came on again but this time only gave a P0442 code. I know the general fixes for that code but the car has intermittently been difficult to start, as in, it starts just fine but won't idle and dies immediately unless you keep your foot on the throttle for a couple of minutes. After a bit of sitting at 2000 rpms it settles down and idles without help. My question is: could the P0442 explain this? This seems extreme for a code that says "small leak". Many thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice work getting the intake hoses replaced. Just did mine last night also!

Sounds like your idle air control valve needs to be replaced or removed and deep cleaned.

Spray and pray never fully resolved it for me. Removing and cleaning would last for awhile but it hasn't returned at all since I just replaced it.

I don't recall getting a p0420 when it occurred so I cant be of much help there..but a quick Google search says the most common cause is usually a loose gas cap.

Good luck hope you get it fixed up!

·
Registered
2003 Avalon, 2002 (2), 2003 (2) Camry
402 Posts
Wife was out of town and had the non-idle issue a couple years back. Since I wasn't there and too far to go to trailer it home she took it to a local shop. Ended up the idle air control as @Cheeba74 mentioned. They put on a new one and it's been fine ever since. I wish it had happened at home as I'd have preferred to removed and clean first before dropping $1K on a repair.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Success!!...probably. The stalling had gotten so back that you had to drive 2-footed to keep the RPMs up. I couldn't let my girl drive around like that. I pulled out the intake and the rear throttle body. Three of the bolts that hold the idle air control valve to the TB came out without issue. One started to strip. So before it got too bad I ran out to Hazard Fraught and bought an impact screwdriver set for 8 bucks. How did I get along without this thing for so long? Once I got the last screw out I found the valve stuck closed with black buildup. I used Gumout and a toothbrush to scrub it 'til it shined. I also used paper towel and a tiny Allen wrench to clean out the void where the brush couldn't reach. One quick shot of WD40 and felt I had done all I could do. I reassembled the valve and reinstalled the TB and the intake. Double checked all my vacuum connections and she fired up easily and idled perfectly. I reset the P0442 code. This clearly solved the stalling issue. Just waiting now to see if the code comes back. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and giving some incentive ($1000?!?!?!?) :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great work getting it solved and thanks for taking the time to post up and let us know.

That was super cool of you and really benefits folks facing similar issues in the future.

Feel like I've run across many threads where just the problem and a few suggestions are posted..the person facing the issue never closes the loop. Thank you for your follow up!

I've got the same impact set from HF and you are 100% on the money with that..sure is nice not deal with stripped screws anymore!

Cheers to another Avalon out there racking up the miles! (They're quite the awesome car!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. The Avalon (affectionately named Trigger) is still starting, idling and running smooth. However, that pesky CEL code P0442 is back, dammit. I've checked the vacuum lines in the engine compartment and find no leaks. I can hear the pressure release when I loosen the gas cap so I know the cap, neck and tank aren't leaking (I also cleaned the gas cap threads just in case). So now I'm a little stumped. It doesn't seem to be having a noticeable effect so I'm not in any rush, but I will be doing more research to figure this out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts