Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2.4l std. The steering started getting hard to turn intermittently. I pushed the fluid and took out the reservoir and cleaned the screen. It was pretty dirty and smelled kind of bad. The belt looks ok and there are not strange noises or leaks. I figure it's the pump but I read a lot of posts where the pump was changed and problems persist. Also, I've never had a bad power steering pump so I don't know the symptoms. Is this simply a bad pump?

·
Press hard, four copies!
2004 Camry LE Ltd Ed
989 Posts
I just replaced the rack on my '04 and the difference in steering smoothness is noticeable.

In addition to my rack being worn out, I had a leak in the high pressure hose, so I replaced that as well.

FWIW, I did a flush a few months ago and while that helped, the real culprit lie elsewhere. Now, all is great.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't know much about the inside of the p/s pump, but it definitely sounds like you're having the p/s work and then not work randomly, so if your fluid isn't leaking and you always have the proper level of p/s fluid in your reservoir then the only things I can think of would be either you have air in the p/s system, your p/s pump is bad, or you have clogs somewhere in your p/s system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.