Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Have you checked your automatic transmission fluid ("ATF") level and condition recently? ATF expands as the transmission warms up and since top gear requires the most ATF pressure, your symptoms sound like your ATF is low.

·
Registered
'03 Camry XLE
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Have you checked your automatic transmission fluid ("ATF") level and condition recently? ATF expands as the transmission warms up and since top gear requires the most ATF pressure, your symptoms sound like your ATF is low.
I checked my ATF level hot, and it is about 1/4" past the full mark. I don't know if that in itself is a problem of any sort but it shouldn't be a concern as far as what you say may be causing the shift delay. I suppose I could add a little more just to see if that makes a difference but I don't think that's something I should be doing. Whatever I do, it will have to wait till cold weather arrives because there is no shift delay now. The fluid has been changed several times and the strainer once that I know of. It has 136,000 miles on it, so I will likely change fluid and strainer in the late fall and see how that goes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also have a 2003 4cyl that does not pop into overdrive until it warms up. About a 1/4 mile or so when the temperature is in the 50's. I've come to accept it as a characteristic of that transmission. Doesn't concern me in any event. My car has 114k. Did a dump and fill at around 80k.

·
Registered
'03 Camry XLE
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've since been told that it may be one or more solenoids in the trans that is sticking until the fluid warms. If dropping the pan to clean the strainer those solenoids are easily accessible and can be removed by taking out one bolt and disconnecting the wire. I believe there are three in all. Now whether one or all have to be replaced I don't know...I'm guessing just one controls the shift into 3rd gear. I assume they are not cheap, but taking that pan off was a little tricky for me, and not something you want to repeat if replacing only one solenoid didn't do the trick. Then again, pretty pricey if changing all three doesn't help either.

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
2,262 Posts
Sounds like this is an engineering norm...how to fix it should be on some TSB somewhere. Something else to do.
Toyota doesn't want "to fix it," that is how the ECM is set up to ensure the cats light up asap. Burn more fuel, cats reach operating temperature more rapidly and engine reaches closed loop operation which means reduce pollution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts