Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'03 Camry XLE
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a front engine mount replaced on my 03 Camry 6 cyl in January. But afterwards my VSC and TRAC OFF light came on. That mechanic was not able to make it go away so I took it elsewhere where I was told that I needed a zero point calibration, which they were able to do...problem fixed. Just last week, a check engine light revealed a problem with Bank one sensor one (AF sensor), but the VSC and TRAC OFF lights came on again at the same time. My mechanic changed the sensor, and we cleared the check engine light with the old disconnect the battery, touch the cables together, and reattach the cables trick which worked...except the damn VSC an TRAC OFF lights remained. Back to the second mechanic, he said that when the check engine light came on it also threw a code that said that the zero point calibration that he had done was UNdone...my question is WHY? What is the connection between braking and emissions? Is this a common design problem that every one shares, or is it just lucky old me?

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,672 Posts
I wasn't aware that the 03 had VSC and TRAC. My 04 V6 only has ABS. Make an emergency stop in a out of the way safe place and see if the ABS will come on. You'll know from feedback through the brake pedal. If the ABS is functioning it's probably just a problem with the lights All three system are tied together.. I don't know how one would bring the VSC and TRAC on with out doing some seriously dangerous driving. Regards

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
238 Posts
^ I agree with the above my 04 also only has ABS none of that other stuff so I am not sure I don’t know if it is a common design or not

·
Registered
388 Posts
Given the number of results returned by: VSC ABS TRAC Toyota at DuckDuckGo
including a number from this very site this issue appears to be far from isolated.

Antilock brakes (ABS), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), and Traction Control (TRAC) are generally interrelated parts of the same overarching safety system. My 2004 Solara SLE V6 has all three and the lamps for all three illuminate, along with a bunch of others, for the lamp check when the car is first turned on.

Two useful bits of reading include:
7 Causes of a Traction Control Light Coming On When ...

https://www.motortrend.com/news/traction-control-vs-stability-control/

And a search on traction control vs stability control will get you scads of results about how each is intimately tied to ABS.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
238 Posts
My guess(I said guess), in all probability is...wheel speed sensor.

Never heard of a zero calibration before either, sounds like something the proctologist gives you.

Cheers from Canada, best!
😂😂😂😂

·
Registered
'03 Camry XLE
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasn't aware that the 03 had VSC and TRAC. My 04 V6 only has ABS. Make an emergency stop in a out of the way safe place and see if the ABS will come on. You'll know from feedback through the brake pedal. If the ABS is functioning it's probably just a problem with the lights All three system are tied together.. I don't know how one would bring the VSC and TRAC on with out doing some seriously dangerous driving. Regards
I bought the 03 Camry used in 2013, and the vehicle sticker was with the paperwork...the VSC and TRAC were part of a $1,150 option on the vehicle for that year...lucky me. The zero point calibration can be done at a mechanic with the proper equipment OR you can just do what a couple of youtube videos do with just two paperclips, LOL. If done right, your'e good; done wrong and you may fry the ECU...I opted for the $100 charge with a one year guarantee. But the question remains, why did the lights come on for a front engine mount replacement and then again for an AF sensor replacement? At least the second time was under warranty for no charge. By the way, this car is the only one I've had where a motor mount has vacuum lines running to and from it.

·
Registered
'03 Camry XLE
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My guess(I said guess), in all probability is...wheel speed sensor.

Never heard of a zero calibration before either, sounds like something the proctologist gives you.

Cheers from Canada, best!
I bought the 03 Camry used in 2013, and the vehicle sticker was with the paperwork...the VSC and TRAC were part of a $1,150 option on the vehicle for that year...lucky me. The zero point calibration can be done at a mechanic with the proper equipment OR you can just do what a couple of youtube videos do with just two paperclips, LOL. If done right, your'e good; done wrong and you may fry the ECU...I opted for the $100 charge with a one year guarantee, which I'd imagine is a lot less than what a proctologist would charge to remove a bill for an ECU replacement. But the question remains, why did the lights come on for a front engine mount replacement and then again for an AF sensor replacement? At least the second time was under warranty for no charge. By the way, this car is the only one I've had where a motor mount has vacuum lines running to and from it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts