Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know for sure if the 2003 Corolla LE is supposed to have a light either in or around the cigarette lighter socket on the center console?

I was looking at replacement bulbs for the interior and I saw one for the cigarette lighter bulb, Part# 90011-01014 but I don't recall the socket ever being illuminated before on mine... was it something optional?

Or, is the "BULB, CIGARETTE LIGHTER 90011-01014" that I see in the parts list for the actual lighter piece itself (which I don't use since I don't smoke) and NOT the actual socket? I was thinking it meant the socket would have an illuminated ring around it or something.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla S
210 Posts
The socket is in fact illuminated (green) in the ring around it. It is standard equipment on all Corolla models. It still works on my CE.
If it's a Canadian spec model. American specs didn't get a cigarette lighter there, just another 12V socket with a cover over it and no illumination ring.

When I was visiting friends in Indiana last month I was comparing my S to his S, and that was one of the differences we found.

·
its a non-prius ha
2003 corolla
516 Posts
Canadian spec has em only....... Didnt want american to light a smoke while driving at night perhaps who knows lol. All the ones that dont have it can have it if they want because under where the cigarette lighter is if you follow the plug a little back there is an unused socket which is meant for that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what part would you get if you wanted to turn it into an illuminated one?
Do I need a whole new socket and a cable or something?

I plan on putting in a mini 12v adapter with two USB's on it and will be using it extensively... so the illumination might be kinda cool.

·
Automotive Philosopher
123 Posts
So what part would you get if you wanted to turn it into an illuminated one?
Do I need a whole new socket and a cable or something?

I plan on putting in a mini 12v adapter with two USB's on it and will be using it extensively... so the illumination might be kinda cool.
My '03 had the "smoker's package" but I "un-smoker's-packaged" it, deleting the cigar lighter and illuminated ring and replacing it with the capped, non-illuminated cover. I don't smoke, I don't want to encourage smoking, I'm annoyed by an open socket, and if a coin fell into the open socket, it would blow the fuse. I kept the ash tray in the cupholder for loose change.

I don't think that the cover will fit with the illuminated ring. The cigar lighter socket and power outlet socket are slightly different with different PNs, BTW. The lighter socket seems to be insulated. All the different parts are shown in the diagram in the online Toyota parts catalogs. The wires for the lamp should be loose in the console somewhere. The connector is gray plastic and the ground wire is white with a black stripe if I remember correctly. (FWIW, since the power is variable to dim the light with the rest of the instrument panel lights -- the light circuit does NOT work for hard wiring a radar detector!)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found some parts websites, but none that showed the diagrams and such.

Since I don't know what would be involved in converting it, I won't bother worrying about it. It's not like it's important... it would just have been a little fun more than anything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i just changed mine today to an led but it keeps burning out whats the output amps and voltage for the bulb plug

i tested it on my 2A LI ion 3.7volt battery and it didnt burn out

so does anyone know what resistor i would have to use?

EDIT: fixed i used a 56 ohm resistor and it is now bright and doesnt burn out i over did it a bit my calculations called for a 4.7ohm but this way i know it wont surge and its the only one i could find that wasnt too weak

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.