Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My pop has a 2003 Matrix XRS with about 120K on the clock. Car runs fine, but according to the place that failed the inspection it is showing code P0420. When the dealer ran the test, they said it needs a new catalytic convereter. The car failed emissions (I believe the link up with the computer here in NJ...not sure though). Here is the kicker, we are getting rid of the car in a couple months, so I was thinking of getting a universal magnaflow cat and welding it in place. Anybody ever use a universal on an XRS? Any other suggestions? I'm going to do some more digging. In the meantime, I'm open to all suggestions.

·
Registered
Matrix XR 2003
188 Posts
P0135 O2Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank #1 Sensor #1)

The dealer is trying to rip you off.

You need to replace the O2 sensor before the cat. converter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yep, you need to find a better shop like a reputable independent.

Also, before you run out and spend your hard earned $, have the O2 sensor tested first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, but looks like the dealer is legit. Found the original work order and the code is P0420. Any thoughts on the replacement cat linked above? Looks like that is the best replacement for me.

·
Registered
Matrix XR 2003
188 Posts
Since you are lucky enough NOT to live in California, you can just weld out the cat. converter and replace with a universal one w/out issues.

Magnaflow and Vibrant make replacement cats that fit.

They should be priced around $50 if you search around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since you are lucky enough NOT to live in California, you can just weld out the cat. converter and replace with a universal one w/out issues.

Magnaflow and Vibrant make replacement cats that fit.

They should be priced around $50 if you search around.
How much do you think a shope would/should charge to weld the universal in? I was going to go that route, but I can install the replacement cats myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts