Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a good one for anyone that owns one of the new BARGAIN priced 04/05 Sienna CE's in the US.
Even though the CE is not "supposed" to be equipped with day time running lights in the US, IT IS!
Remove the underhood fuse panel cover, in the lower left hand corner of the fuse box there is an empty fuse socket to the left of the two 10 amp headlight fuses. Simply take one of your spare fuses (it doesn't mater which one, I used one of the 2 spare 30 amp fuses) and plug it into the open socket. BINGO, you now have daytime running lights! Pretty slick hey? :cool:
I suspect that this may be the case with several other years and other lower end Toyota models. Look for DRL relay(s) in the underhood fuse box and an open fuse socket with contacts in it.
I'll bet that this makes the Toyota marketing people cringe when they see this. :lol:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It has been confirmed that this also works on all other 04 and 05 Sienna models that aren't "supposed" to have DRLs.
Shame on you Toyota for charging extra for this "option"!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drl

OMG why this isn't a normal thing to the customer I do not understand. It took me 2 min's to make it work. Anyone wishing for it to be done let me know I charge for the time to scratch my head and adjust myself for the hour then install a fuse. DUH!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is a good one for anyone that owns one of the new BARGAIN priced 04/05 Sienna CE's in the US.
Even though the CE is not "supposed" to be equipped with day time running lights in the US, IT IS!
Remove the underhood fuse panel cover, in the lower left hand corner of the fuse box there is an empty fuse socket to the left of the two 10 amp headlight fuses. Simply take one of your spare fuses (it doesn't mater which one, I used one of the 2 spare 30 amp fuses) and plug it into the open socket. BINGO, you now have daytime running lights! Pretty slick hey? :cool:
I suspect that this may be the case with several other years and other lower end Toyota models. Look for DRL relay(s) in the underhood fuse box and an open fuse socket with contacts in it.
I'll bet that this makes the Toyota marketing people cringe when they see this. :lol:
Thank you so much wag for starting this post and sharing this technique. It really helped me fix my 2007 Sienna (US made). Its DRL was not functioning.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great idea but I'd put a 10 amp fuse in place of the 30 amp fuse.

You mentioned that the headlight fuses are 10 amp fuses but you used a 30 amp fuse for the DRL circuit, it is never a good idea to put a higher rated fuse in a circuit than what it calls for. You can assume if something bad were to happen that the 10 amp fuses would blow but I'd hate to be wrong & burn up the wiring for the headlight circuit. There is a difference in wire size between 10 & 30 amp circuits & its not worth the risk.

I know DIY stereo installers that have tried upgrading systems & when the rated fuse blows due to the load of the new equipment they put a larger fuse in it & burn up the wiring. I had a coworker who set his truck on fire (total loss) because he didn't upgrade the wiring.

·
Premium Member
2015 Sienna / 2018 RAV4
1,231 Posts
Great idea but I'd put a 10 amp fuse in place of the 30 amp fuse.
In this particular application, it's safe. This spot in the fuse block is not actually a 'fuse' in the typical overcurrent protection mode. It's actually a 'jumper' to invoke a function - namely to switch the high beam bulbs from parallel to series operation (half the voltage to each, and thus substantially lower lumens output) when the lights are not on. In the event of a system short, the individual fuses for the lighting circuits will still be your first line of defense. On models with DRL from the factory, I believe they actually have a big thick bridge in that spot, not a fuse.

Fuse boxes vary by year, but this is what my 2008 looks like:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.