Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My baby needs new struts. Can anyone tell me how to find affodable
struts for an 04 sport edition? I am desperate to repair *****. My car guy can only find ones that I cannot afford.

Thanks

Rougeski

·
イリジウム
14,000 Posts
Depending on if you prefer a firmer ride or a softer ride. Those who prefer a firmer ride tend to like KYB and those who prefer a softer ride can look at Monroe OESpectrum struts/shocks or QuickStruts assemblies, which I personally prefer. So it depends.

Look up your applications on manufacturers' catalogs first:

Then look on rockauto or other online sellers for best prices. Using RWD 4-cyl as an example, on rockauto you can find Suspension Kits containing all four corners. The fronts are complete front assemblies with mounts, bellows and coil springs; the rears are plain shock absorbers.

There are limited selections of Bilsteins on rockauto. Other sellers may offer more choices if you prefer Bilsteins. KYB is jokingly called "K"eep "Y"our "B"ilsteins.

Monroe's 4 corners kit is $262.99, KYB RWD $283.79 and KYB 4WD $291.79. KYB is more specific as far as offering different front coils for RWD and 4WD (4WD coils are 0.57" taller, with the same 595 lb/in spring rate). Monroe coils are one fits both.

However you can buy plain struts and shock absorbers. Monroe would be $183.36 for all four corners. KYB would be $213.56. You should at least inspect all the rubber parts for wear if you assemble your own.

And use the rockauto 5% off code if you buy from there, scroll to the newest post:

Here are some discussions on budget brands. The member used Monroe QuickStruts for the HL:

One on Corolla struts, but look at the different brands and price points:

·
Registered
2021 Highlander XSE V6
137 Posts
If you get new Strut stick with OEM and hold onto old struts.
The OEM XREAS struts are expensive and require dealer service to re-fill the fluid. It's about $3000 all in.

I had KYB all around for 5 years on my '04 4Runner and the ride was great. Similar to stock. Just rip out the XREAS lines and canisters since they're not needed anymore.

·
Registered
14 Posts
OEM shocks and struts in my 2005 with 180,000 miles are fine. I once changed ST in a 10 year old GMC Jimmy with AM and the ride was worse than with the OEM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts