Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I hope someone can please help me figure this out. My camry changes all gears just fine but clunks into final gear every single time. No only is it annoying but it's also very worrysome.
Basically I am driving down the highway and when I reach the final gear it's like someone threw a golf ball down at my feet and when I left off the gas and back on again it goes back into last gear and clunks again. It always does this but sometimes more softly than others.
Toyota told me it was the OD lockout, what do you guys think?
04 170k 4 cylinder u241e transmission
Fluid looks like coffee and my mechanic is draining and filling with a new filter tommorrow. Smells like old oil not like burnt toast.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Time for new motor/transmission mounts too. Clunk can also be worn balljoints, control arm bushings, CV joints.....
Since you ran the ATF too long, don't expect a fluid/filter change as a way of rebuilding the transmission. It won't. New fluid might help with line pressure and cleaning some varnish up while conditioning some seals. Make sure tech uses a 3309/TIV fluid or equivalent. I'd even consider a bottle of Lubegard Red.

Scan the computer for codes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply and help!
The top dog bone mount is shot I planned on replacing it first. Let me ask you a question I am a little nervous about changing atf but know it needs to be done. The car was a one owner and I have just newly acquired it at 167k, so the last half of its life. The fluid is not thick or gunky but always registers above the full mark on the dipstick no matter hot or cold so I figured the fluid was pretty old. Toyota tech says he saw some red tinge but I do not so idk. I bought type 4 toyota fluid filter crush washers and everything to be done right. What is your advice about high mileage drain and fill do you think it could do harm, I know it will not produce a new tranny but hoping for smoother less jerky shifts from first and second to third.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts