Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a '04 Camry, 5 spd, 4 cyl with curtain airbags; had to special order it from Japan which took 3 mos for delivery. The car looks very nice and has nice amenities like power windows and air, but from the start I didn't like the front end feel, which was hard to pinpoint because for the 1st 1000 mi I drove it at a crawl, ie 60 mph or less. Well, after the 1000 mi were up, I took it out for some fast spins because in WA state the speed limit is 70 mph and to pass it is not uncommon to hit 80. Was I ever in for a surprise! At the higher speeds, ie >65, esp on a turn of any kind, the steering wheel and front end would shake. At 80, you felt like the front end was going to come loose. I took it in to a tire dealer and they checked the balance and alignment; both were ok. Now I have it into the dealer for a diagnostic.They are most likely going to tell me it's fine. After doing internet research, it is apparent to me that it is a fatal design flaw which Toyota has themselves to blame for trying to design the front end with fewer parts. It has 2000 mi. The question is-what do I do? Part of me is mad is hell and is ready to declare it a lemon and get my money back, period, and I've already told the dealer that. Another part says, see if they can find anything then adapt to the problem, but get them to give you an extended warranty by threatening a total refund. This is probably the best '04 Camry I can expect . Opinions ??? Thank you. WG

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Have them put new tires on the front and see what happens. If it doesnt fix it they can take the tires back. Could be a defective tire :confused:

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
I'd have a toyota tech ride with you when you go over 65mph. Taking it back and having them check it in their small shop doesn't highlight when the problem occurs.

·
Bootyologist
2004 Toyota Camry LE
1,531 Posts
I don't feel anything when i'm doing 110mph, but at the speeds your talkin about, i don't feel a difference....car is smooth.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
dude my 90 celica 5sfe with over 160 miles was smooth at 110mph, something obviously wrong with his car!

·
Bootyologist
2004 Toyota Camry LE
1,531 Posts
take it back, and say fix it or give me another one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all your helpful tips ! Good news - the dealer fixed the problem, can you believe that , and perhaps somewhat mysteriously ? The car was there all day Fri. They said the tech took it for a ride at 65-75 mph on the freeway and said it was OK, except it was "very road sensitive" and the tires were "over inflated ". All they said they did was lower the tire pressure to 34 psi. Boy, do I feel lucky! The car runs just fine now and was put thru its hoops today on the freeway at 75 mph in the rain and on curves. No problems. Good luck to you all, too. Thanks again. WG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts