Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak on my y-pipe on my 2004 V6 Camry. The leak is on the actual pipe and not the flex pipe. The mechanic quoted the job at $730 for parts and labor after tax. I’m relatively new to DIY car repairs, but I was curious as to how feasible of a job this would be to do it myself? The car only has 96k miles on it, and I’m hoping to have it for a few more years.

Additionally, I wanted to know if anyone knew of a good place to buy exhaust pieces without breaking the bank. I found some on eBay, but wasn’t sure of the reliability.

Thanks!

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,263 Posts
Exhaust piping can either be cut-&-weld or remove-&-replace. I suggest looking for another shop and ask how much it is to cut-&-weld the rusty area of the pipe as this will typically be cheaper than replacing the entire pipe. More so if it comes with the catalytic converter, which it seems the Y-Pipe contains. The only real issue you will have for a DIY for a remove-&-replace is rusty near impossible to remove bolts and nuts. The main method of getting these bolts off is heat, the other method that I have never tried because I don't have time for it is some sort of chemical solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, this context is helpful. I think I’ll try to get a quote from another place for a welding job rather than a replacement job. Have you ever heard of anyone using an angle grinder to take off the bolts?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,263 Posts
Thanks, this context is helpful. I think I’ll try to get a quote from another place for a welding job rather than a replacement job. Have you ever heard of anyone using an angle grinder to take off the bolts?
You can use nearly any method to get bolts off whether that is heating them, melting them, doing some sort of chemical reaction, cutting them, anything as long as you don't need them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts