Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Ever since two years back when I got my '04 Camry from my parents there has been a particular water problem in the rear right passenger seat. For some odd reason water magically puddles underneath only that half of the rear bench and the other half (rear driver passenger) is bone dry. At first I thought it was just someone spilling some water that seeped through the foam and collected on the frame so I removed the entire bench to air dry and monitor the area after drying. The day after was a full Florida day with outside temperatures >100F and only moving the car once, at the end of the day water still pooled in that same exact spot when I went to re-install the bench.

I did a search to see if anyone else was having a similar problem and it seems only the front seats were having water problems with no mention of rear seats and the solution was to unclog an evaporator line. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing the water puddle?

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Assuming no sunroof and no rain between the time you dried it and the time the water miraculously appeared, I bet you ran the air conditioner to cool off from those >100 temps, and therein lies the problem. The Condensation line is plugged, or has come disconnected, and the water collecting is running out into the car instead of to the ground.

Reactions: Choman

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the black line that is on the left hand side of the pictures is the condensation line? I thought it was some electrical line that ran to the rear of the car but is the only way to unclog it to go to a mechanics shop and have them shoot air through it?

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
No.
I have no idea what that black line is on the floor, but it is not the condensation line. The air conditioner is built in under the dash and next to the firewall. There is an outlet on the bottom of the case, attached to a short tube, perhaps 2-3 inches in length, that runs through the firewall to the underside/outside, to allow condensation to drip out on the ground. If the condensation line is clogged then water will back up, run onto and under the carpet in the front and migrate to the rear because it is usually just a tad lower, and water runs down hill. Let's review. You have water in the car with no known source. It hasn't rained. You haven't washed the car. It just appeared. But it has been hot, you are in a humid climate, and you have been running the air conditioner which we presume is blowing cold air. The only explanation for the water is a/c condensation. Get under the car and feel for a little rubber nipple coming through the firewall. See if it feels wet after running the a/c for a few minutes. Poke a pencil or something similar that is not sharp and see if you have any grunge in there that is stopping it up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you may be right but I won't have a chance to check the condensation line until I drive back to school. The slight problem I have with water coming from the condensation line is that the water pools underneath the rear benches and not the wells which I thought were the lowest point in the car. It's my fault for not including details about the car but maybe the following will help others chime in on what could possibly be causing it if the condensation line turns out to be clear.

2004 Toyota Camry LE, ~55K miles, no sunroof, no rain for the past week, I've taken the rear bench out before car washing to find water but then after drying and washing car there was no water there, A/C is running everytime I drive since it is >90F now-a-days.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Wow. You are getting pooled water UNDER the rear bench and not in the pan/floor area???? Then it is not condensation unless you park your car with the nose pointed to the sky. The water is coming from somewhere. Look at the seal around the upper lip of the trunk and see if there are breaks in it that would permit water in. You may need to get a helper to spritz the car while you crawl around inside with a flashlight and see if you can find a drip.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, sorry if I said the wrong information before but the water pools under the bench where a person would sit and not the well that the feet would rest on.

I don't believe it is the condensation line at all since I drove ~210 miles to get back to school with A/C on all the way and the water was dripping fairly well from where the line is under the car when I parked it. I'll check the trunk seal when I get a chance to, either by jumping in my trunk when it rains and looking for the drip or pouring water down the rear windshield and quickly looking for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts