Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Camry XLE (185k miles) has developed a low frequency side-to-side wobble that only occurs between about 30-50 MPH. It's a noticeable side to side wobble that's different than an out of balance tire, feels similar to someone standing outside and rocking the car side to side. Here's where I'm at:

-New tires (good michelins) less than 5k miles ago, problem only developed within last 200 miles.
-No wheel damage that would make me suspect a bent wheel.
-I removed all 4 wheels and cleaned the wheel and hub surfaces with a drill/wire brush to make sure the wheels sit flush.
-I'm not getting any wheel bearing or CV joint noise.
-Struts were replaced ~50k miles ago, no issues since then.
-Replaced upper engine control rod (Block to right wheel well) due to cracked rubber while doing timing belt.

I'm planning on putting the car on jack stands to feel for wheel bearing and suspension play, at least what I'm able to accomplish in my driveway. I'm also going to observe if the wobble only happens under acceleration, or if it remains when coasting and decelerating. Any thoughts or similar experiences? Do high mileage transmission cause this?

·
Registered
285 Posts
In my experience that side to side is more often than not a tire issue. Even a quality brand like Michelin has the possibility to have a bad one now and then.

It sounds like you've already gone over much of the suspension and other culprits. If it were me I'd throw the spare on and take it for a drive and see what happens. Rotate that around the car to test each tire/wheel. Doesn't cost anything other than time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my experience that side to side is more often than not a tire issue. Even a quality brand like Michelin has the possibility to have a bad one now and then.

It sounds like you've already gone over much of the suspension and other culprits. If it were me I'd throw the spare on and take it for a drive and see what happens. Rotate that around the car to test each tire/wheel. Doesn't cost anything other than time.
Thanks for the reply, I'll swap the spare out with one wheel at a time like you suggested. It's an obvious enough wobble that I'll be able to tell when it's been eliminated. If that doesn't work my next move is to get it up on jacks to wiggle suspension components. Even though I've kept it in great shape, it has close to 185k miles so bushings and balljoints are suspect.

·
Registered
2001 Camry LE
657 Posts
Yeah, at 185K I'd suspect something with the suspension. Whether the wobble goes away when you take your foot off the gas is important. I had a vibration only while applying gas on my Odyssey - turned out to be my front axles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got under the car this morning and every part of the suspension I could wiggle was tight, the drive axles had a little bit of slop but the boots are intact and there's no noise when I rotated the steering wheel to either stop. The wheel hubs are solid and there's no ball joint movement when gripping the top and bottom of each tire and rocking it. Here's videos of the tires potentially wobbling when rotating, I took these after a 15 minute drive to make sure there were no flat spots:

Right Front 1
Right Front 2
Left Front 1
Left Front 2
Right Rear 1
Right Rear 2
Left Rear - The emergency brake was dragging a bit on this wheel so it was hard to get a video.

·
Mechanic by Necessity!
75 Posts
Videos are labeled Private so I'm unable to view them. Cheers!

·
Regular TN User
281 Posts
Do you get an intermittent vibration in the steering wheel, too? Is there a little slop in the steering (does it feel a little "loose")?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you get an intermittent vibration in the steering wheel, too? Is there a little slop in the steering (does it feel a little "loose")?
No, the steering wheel doesn't vibrate. I feel it more in my body, a subtle side to side wobble.

If anyone can tell me if my tires look out of round from the videos I posted that would be awesome. I'll probably take it to Discount Tire regardless.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My rule of thumb is that you'll more often feel something from the front wheels in the steering wheel. The rear wheels will be in the seat of your pants.

A broken belt in a tire would likely show in your videos although the camera would have been better placed on something as there's too much movement. But a de-laminated or shifting belt may pass your visual test.

Did you ever try the spare? If not, I'd focus on the rear tires first.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I scheduled an appointment to have the front axles replaced. This site, and a few others say that a shimmy or vibration under acceleration can be caused by a bad inner CV joint. Our car has 182k miles so either way it would be cheap insurance. I'll update this thread with the results.

Why your car shakes when accelerating

1 - 12 of 12 Posts