Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Glockaholic...
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My valvetrain is getting clickity clack. Oil is changed religiously at 3K miles since new.
The weather is getting very cold overnite here. This noise started at around 55K miles.
Valve lash is to be checked at 60K according to the Owners manual.
Out of all the solid lifter 4 bangers I have owned this is the lowest amount of miles
I have heard valve train noise. Guess its time to go to the dealer. Any thoughts?
57K seems too soon to me for a lash adjustment.
(Can be heard inside vehicle at idle too)

·
Premium Member
14,764 Posts
try a full synthetic oil like mobil1 which runs a little on the thin side. i switched to synthetic blend and in the winter the only clacking i hear is from my injectors. however the valve train on the 1zzfe has been said to be noisier than other cars, some of it just how it is and some of it could be cured by swapping oils. you may also try to narrow down the noise to one cylinder with a screwdriver held to the ear and to the head like a stethoscope.

·
Registered
2 Toys
412 Posts
I would think a thicker oil would help quiet things as opposed to thin. However, I have noticed that with the zz engines that they are noisier. I think it may be partially due to the timing chain setup as well.

·
Premium Member
14,764 Posts
Kevs Toy said:
I would think a thicker oil would help quiet things as opposed to thin. However, I have noticed that with the zz engines that they are noisier. I think it may be partially due to the timing chain setup as well.
on startup thinner oil gets around faster, the pressure is almost instant but the volume of oil to the head isnt. the oil between the valve parts isnt pressurized, it just flows up there.

·
I Like Traffic Lights !!!
78 Bronco
520 Posts
I would take it in and have the dealer look at it, putting a heavy oil in it is going to prolong the problem. I was up in Prince George B.C. on Friday with my car and it was -30 celcius with a wind blowing and I could hear a heavy ticking noise from under the hood so I stopped at the dealer here in town and they said not to worry it was my injectors and they will make that noise when it's that cold out. Thats why I say take it in because it might just be the cold playing havoc with your injectors or something...

·
Glockaholic...
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
05_Echo said:
I would take it in and have the dealer look at it, putting a heavy oil in it is going to prolong the problem. I was up in Prince George B.C. on Friday with my car and it was -30 celcius with a wind blowing and I could hear a heavy ticking noise from under the hood so I stopped at the dealer here in town and they said not to worry it was my injectors and they will make that noise when it's that cold out. Thats why I say take it in because it might just be the cold playing havoc with your injectors or something...

It may be an injector. I think its too loud to be a lifter.
If it was a lifter I think my motor would be FUBAR by now :lol:
I will post up when I return from the Dealer on Tuesday.

·
Glockaholic...
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just returned from the Dealer.
They claim that sound is normal and nothing is wrong.
Sure enough I get home and can hear the chatter inside the cabin.
Sounds like a diesel. I kept the repair order (no charge) for validation and CYA reasons.
If this thing burns a valve I will have documentation that Toyo claims there was no valve chatter.
Maybe a Mobile 1 oil change could help. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
778 Posts
kn38ms said:
I just returned from the Dealer.
They claim that sound is normal and nothing is wrong.
Sure enough I get home and can hear the chatter inside the cabin.
Sounds like a diesel. I kept the repair order (no charge) for validation and CYA reasons.
If this thing burns a valve I will have documentation that Toyo claims there was no valve chatter.
Maybe a Mobile 1 oil change could help. We'll see what happens.
Good Call: Always cover your Ass.

·
Did somebody say "Nachos"
1992 Toyota Camry
550 Posts
I heard it today on my 05 CE today. It was -23°C outside at the time and I had only been running it for 10min or so (still not in optimum temp on guage).
TICK-TICK-TICK really loud at the top of the engine.
I've only got 33,000 km on the thing too

I hope it goes away as it warms up around here this week :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts