Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 04 corolla that i use only to get me from work to home. 18 miles one way. has 64k miiles on it give or take, it is also a automatic

I went to go pick up some medicine from a friends house and i took the car up the mountain. At the top of the mountain is where the house is, it is a hill but very steep that is why i say mountain. anyways.... When i got out of the car i smelt what was like a tire was burning, however i didnt use the brakes or anything. Which is weird for me, i am worried it may be the transmission, which my 02 camry had problems with, but i dont hear the sounds like i did with it.

My question is am I way off and it is something else or is it the transimisson fluid which toyota told me not to touch. They said the same thing with the camry and the transmission broke errr.

Any ideas?

Also i have not got my 60k check up yet, do yall recommend that or any other maintance with my car. I just get oil changes every 3k, but i want to make sure my car is well maintained now.

Thanks for all the help

·
Offcial TN Newbie
08 Corolla S
288 Posts
you must have the hand break on.:lol:

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Are you sure that it was burning tires and not the engine working hard? Do you burn or leak any oil? Could you have possible spilled any oil on the exhaust manifold when you changed the oil?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked it looks good there, check transmission fluid and looks good same with oil. I am going to try and go back up there and during the day time to see what it could be, because this is the 2nd time i have smelt it, last was about 8 months ago same place, big hill.

not sure it was burning tires, it just smelt like that.

·
Offcial TN Newbie
08 Corolla S
288 Posts
I checked that too, and i only used it when i parked it at the end. hmm
sometimes the water get into the hand brake wire, and the hand brake is not fully release. so the break pad is touch the drum and that is the smell come from. since your car is 04, reason I say that is because my friend have 06 satan ion 3 and one day the weather is really cold and his back drum is complete locked even he released his hand break, he have to wait till next noon then he can move his car.

so is possible the hand break not fully release and the pad is touch the drum while you driving.

to test is jack up your back wheels and see you can turn them and see is very easy to turn or very hard to turn, if is very hard to turn, then is the hand break wire got froze.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the serp belt but i dont see any cracks or anything that would suggest it. However when i start the engine and open the hood, i hear a squeeling noise which i dont hear with hood done, kinda annoying but comming for the belt area. I am going to have that checked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts