Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Echo RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning everyone - I have an 04 Echo that I bought with roughly 171,000 KMs on it. Nine years of ownership later I have roughly 235,000 KMs on it and I have yet to flush the power steering. I have done the research on how to do a system flush. My problem is that I can't trace the input and output lines down given that the pump is so close to the fire wall. I was hoping that someone can lend a hand and let me know which hose goes where?

Any and all help is very much appreciated. Thanks for everything! Take care of yourself

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The fat hose from the reservoir is the suction hose to the pump. The smaller hose is the return to the reservoir. Remove the return hose from the reservoir and plug the nipple on the reservoir. Add a longer hose to the return hose so it can be directed to some sort of container to collect the fluid you are flushing out. Fill the reservoir and start the engine. Run 2-3 reservoirs full through the system. Try to not let it run dry/suck air while flushing. Reattach hose, fill system. Without starting engine, turn the wheel lock to lock a couple of times. That will be easier to do with the front wheels off the ground. Now, start car and turn wheels lock to lock while keeping an eye on fluid level. It may take a while to get all the air out and the fluid may appear foamy for a little while. Take it for a short drive and recheck fluid level and be sure the hose you removed is not leaking.

·
Registered
2004 Echo RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. My original idea was to remove the return line at the lower end of it (i.e not @ the pump) - hence my trouble tracing it. Any idea what size the line is? I need to get a nipple of some kind to go from the return line to the temporary drain hose.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. My original idea was to remove the return line at the lower end of it (i.e not @ the pump) - hence my trouble tracing it. Any idea what size the line is? I need to get a nipple of some kind to go from the return line to the temporary drain hose.

Thanks again!
This is how I did it, I was able to access the return line fine with the front wheels off the ground, the system drained easily from there with turning the wheel lock to lock. I just drained it straight from the return line, no additional drain hose necessary.

·
Registered
2004 Echo RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks again!
This is how I did it, I was able to access the return line fine with the front wheels off the ground, the system drained easily from there with turning the wheel lock to lock. I just drained it straight from the return line, no additional drain hose necessary.
I know that this sounds like a silly question but how did you catch the old fluid? I assume you drained it from the return line at the reservoir correct?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know that this sounds like a silly question but how did you catch the old fluid? I assume you drained it from the return line at the reservoir correct?
I drained it from the return line but at the power steering rack, not the reservoir. The fluid was easy to catch in an oil drain pan

·
Registered
2004 Echo RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I drained it from the return line but at the power steering rack, not the reservoir. The fluid was easy to catch in an oil drain pan
Thanks for the help. Please excuse my ignorance - I have never done this before.

• The steering rack sits on top of that front cross member that allows you to jack the car up correct?
  • How do I distinguish between the return and line and and the pressure tube?
    • When I look underneath it seems that both have a low pressure fitting. I am having trouble tracing the lines properly from the reservoir down
Thanks again for all of your help!

·
Registered
29 Posts
At the rack there *should* be one line with a crimped-on high pressure fitting, and another line with a regular spring-type hose clamp. I remember there being pretty much only one option for a line that I could easily disconnect. The rack is what the tie rods are sticking out of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts