Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SIL's rav4 has P0776 this morning and having erratic shifting and very slow off the line, feels like someones holding the brakes. Drove less than 5 miles to a repair shop and the shop said to replace the transmission fluid. Vehicle has 102k miles and original fluid. I've never seen bad trans fluid cause an error code, so I did some poking around and it seems the ECM needs to be repaired with this particular code. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Check Engine, ECT and if Sergie does repair work for the 2004 RAV4. His website does not list this particular model year. I e-mailed him and tried calling his shop, but did not get a response.

I may stick the ECM back in and go and do the trans fluid drop, but I don't expect that to be the issue. Any insight is appreciated!

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,403 Posts
ECM normally on the bottom of suspects for this code.

Causes for this P0776 transmission code may include:

Defective Pressure Control Solenoid
Dirty or contaminated fluid

Dirty or clogged transmission filter

Defective Transmission Pump

Defective Transmission Valve Body

Restricted hydraulic passages

Corroded or damaged connector

Faulty or damaged wiring Faulty PCM

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0776
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reconnect ECM and changed the fluid and started it back up and it shakes like a banshee. rpm slow climbs from 500 to 900. throw it in reverse and it clunks into gear. throw it into drive and you barely feel it. step on the accelerator and it struggles to move the car and when you let of the accelerator RPMs drop back down to 500 and the banshee shaking continues.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 4 of 4 Posts