Toyota Nation Forum banner

04 matrix xr 2zz swap ecu wiring questions

2972 Views 37 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  bradleywingfield48
Hey I have an 04 matrix xr with a 2zz swap and am using the 1zz harness does anyone have any experience with this same swap...I need some info on the ecu wiring it's supposed to be plug and play besides the tps, the knock sensor and the 3 wires to add for lift... all the info I'm getting for ecu wiring is from a spyder or a celica and matrix Is different...im hoping somebody has more experience with this before I start splicing wires...thanks guys
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I can't really find a good diagram for the xr...im using the original harness from the 1zz....it says to add a wire from c6 and c7 and c21 and that c7 is blank but on my harness c6 is blank so there is conflicting info...I hate wiring....im just hoping someone here has answers for me
Do you have a wiring diagram for the engine donor and your matrix?

· Administrator
マズダスピード3
18,219 Posts
@SC Chinchilla has done a 2zz swap in the 8th gen. Here’s their thread.

· Banned
1,402 Posts
No!

That said when I purchased my 2003 Camry 2AZFE Japan Made it had an issue and I did not get it addressed until it was 4 or 5 years old. It would rev to 8000 RPM's and it would peg the speedo at 140mph. The cam phasing was a bit odd at low speeds like trying to slowly drive through a parking lot you could feel the cam phasing.

I mentioned to the Tech when they were doing a "good will" work and replacing the the tensioner, pulley and belt under a TSB for just the price of the parts no labor even though I was well outside of warranty. The Tech looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned I thought the ECU/ECM might need to be reflashed.

It did indeed need to be reflashed it had the wrong programing but they never would tell me what program was running on it and they would not write it up either and did not charge me for it. The valve would start floating at 7200 or so and I had to be really careful until I got it flashed because it would rev way past what was safe! The mechanics eye's got huge when ever I mentioned it.

I always wondered what it was it would have been nice to know!

· Registered
1999 Toyota Corolla 2ZZ-GE Swap, 1997 Toyota Rav4, 1997 Jaguar XJR6
267 Posts
No I can't really find a good diagram for the xr...im using the original harness from the 1zz....it says to add a wire from c6 and c7 and c21 and that c7 is blank but on my harness c6 is blank so there is conflicting info...I hate wiring....im just hoping someone here has answers for me
Sounds like you need to add those pins to the plug(s). Its not something I had to do for my swap but its easy enough. The little metal pins inside the plastic plug can be taken out or put in as needed.

C21 sounds like the throttle position sensor output(or input, I forget). There's 3 wires that go to the TPS. Yellow is your 5 volt reference, brown is just a ground.

C6 and C7 are on plug 2? That's the only plug in my notes that matches your description. For me C6 wasn't used and C7 was just a brown ground.

· Administrator
マズダスピード3
18,219 Posts
Hey. Sorry to be a pain. But do you have the diagram for the 04 matrix xrs ecu pinout. I'm at a standstill. Just need to know where a couple things go. Thank you so much.
You will need to get a 03 matrix xrs ecu. The 04 matrix xrs ecu has no mods to it. Basically a brick. Don’t know why, but Toyota made it on just the 04.

· Registered
16 Posts
You will need to get a 03 matrix xrs ecu. The 04 matrix xrs ecu has no mods to it. Basically a brick. Don’t know why, but Toyota made it on just the 04.
Idk what you mean! Either way what I have is the 04 xrs ecu. I just need to know what pins to hook up the clutch so when I push the clutch in it will start. Also where to pin the lift solenoid and oil sensor for that side of motor. I have 1zz harness so I will just want to run wires myself. If you can help with that for now. I'm getting a 03 xrs ecu later. Ijust need car to go up and down the road for now. Thanks in advance

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey. Sorry to be a pain. But do you have the diagram for the 04 matrix xrs ecu pinout. I'm at a standstill. Just need to know where a couple things go. Thank you so much.
Idk what you mean! Either way what I have is the 04 xrs ecu. I just need to know what pins to hook up the clutch so when I push the clutch in it will start. Also where to pin the lift solenoid and oil sensor for that side of motor. I have 1zz harness so I will just want to run wires myself. If you can help with that for now. I'm getting a 03 xrs ecu later. Ijust need car to go up and down the road for now. Thanks in advance
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

The slots that are blue are the wires you need to add from the 1zzharness to the 2zz ECU

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't understand. I'm not a dummy lol but, I only have the 3 wires. I see where to put them. But the auto trans?? Efi main relay?? Ignition switch?? What do I do with those 3 blue spots??
So the only one I did was run the ignition switch (D9)plug to a switched power or else you won't have any check engine light and then you have to find a harness to cut and add the 3 wires for lift...and then it should run...I'm doing an 04 xr matrix and putting a 2zz also....the rest of the blue ones you don't have to do it just shows what is different

· Registered
16 Posts
Where did you move the d9 pin?? And since I have you here. Where do I run the wires from clutch switch to have the car start. Or can I just bypass that?? Of course I wouldn't have the safety of not being able to start it with out clutch in but im the only driver so no worries there if I can bypass it

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't understand. I'm not a dummy lol but, I only have the 3 wires. I see where to put them. But the auto trans?? Efi main relay?? Ignition switch?? What do I do with those 3 blue spots?? I have the 6 speed gearbox. Not auto trans.
I just ran a small jumper wire from plug D9 to D1 because it is switched power
I don't understand. I'm not a dummy lol but, I only have the 3 wires. I see where to put them. But the auto trans?? Efi main relay?? Ignition switch?? What do I do with those 3 blue spots?? I have the 6 speed gearbox. Not auto trans.
Where did you move the d9 pin?? And since I have you here. Where do I run the wires from clutch switch to have the car start. Or can I just bypass that?? Of course I wouldn't have the safety of not being able to start it with out clutch in but im the only driver so no worries there if I can bypass it
I put the d9 pin at D1...I just cut out the ECU pin for cruise control pinned it into d9 then jumped it to D1 for switched power

· Registered
16 Posts
I really appreciate all this. Seriously. I just recently broke down on highway and had someone steal everything out of my car and tried to steal my car. It was pulled about 30 ft from where it was. Still had. Piece of rope hanging from under car. But since I lost my key and now start with a screw driver, they didn't know you had to use a flat head to unlock the steering wheel. And they took the 03 matrix xrs ecu I had but hadn't changed motor yet so ot was just in my car. I've had bad luck with other people and this matrix. But I won't again!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.