Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mom's 2004 sienna now has about 32,000 miles on it. I'm thinking of changing automatic transmission fluid at next oil change which is 35,000 miles. I heard ATF should be changed every 30k miles, would it be ok if i wait until 35k? also should i change all the fluids instead of just ATF? thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would think the owner's manual has a schedule for fluid changes. Is the Sienna pulling trailers or boats, etc. or being used in dusty ambient conditions? That would affect the timeliness of your schedule as well.

When you pull the dip stick is the fluid still its original color/smell, or close to it? If it's red from the factory (I don't know what color the Sienna's fluid is) and it's brown now I'd say change it. As for the smell, I can't really describe it - you'd have to compare it to what new fluid smells like. If it's black and smells burned then you're overdue and probably have had some problem along the way that caused the fluid to degrade to that condition. My guess is you're ok though.

For my 92 Previa LE I try to change the tranny fluid and filter every 30K miles.

Another line of thinking is to change the tranny fluid/filter (and motor oil/filter) a few thousand miles after buying the vehicle brand new. This drains the system of any metal filings/other materials that come off of wearing surfaces - a kind of burnishing if you will.

·
Registered
4 Posts
loserboy said:
my mom's 2004 sienna now has about 32,000 miles on it. I'm thinking of changing automatic transmission fluid at next oil change which is 35,000 miles. I heard ATF should be changed every 30k miles, would it be ok if i wait until 35k? also should i change all the fluids instead of just ATF? thanks.
I change mine ATF every 10k (not flush), it only cost 39.99 at DonMcgill Toyota here in Houston.

·
VIP
95 MR2
154 Posts
I own a Highlander V6 with 20k miles and the manual states that I shouldnt change the fluid if I have been drving "normally" I just cheked the fluid yesterday and it still looks and smells brand new. Now, if you have been doing some towing or heavy hauling, then an ATF change wont hurt. But i could be wrong since I have a 4-speed auto and ur sienna has a 5-speed auto...??

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
^^ everyone should flush their system every 30K miles. IF yrou pulling boats, trailers, etc..i'd recommend you first install a tranny cooler and then check your levels frequently. To the houston dude...dom mcgill should advise you to flush it at 60K miles, they really should? I know champion, Start, Sterling mcall, tejas (all other houston dealership) they recommend it..

·
Registered
4 Posts
jhbhatia said:
^^ everyone should flush their system every 30K miles. IF yrou pulling boats, trailers, etc..i'd recommend you first install a tranny cooler and then check your levels frequently. To the houston dude...dom mcgill should advise you to flush it at 60K miles, they really should? I know champion, Start, Sterling mcall, tejas (all other houston dealership) they recommend it..
Thanks!! :)

I just worry alot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
according to toyota canada's Recomendations, you should replace ATF on sienna every 96000km (60,000 miles) or 6 years whichever comes first (ussually the miles for most people)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts