Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Solara SLE Convertible, 3.3 V6
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

It's not that I don't understand where these are located and how, in theory, one changes them, but it looks to be a grand PITA to get at them (as opposed to the low and high beam headlamps) on this car.

I have a turn signal bulb on the left front that works as a turn signal but does not illuminate as a side-marker lamp when the headlights are on like the one on the right side does. I imagine this means a broken filament. I am anticipating replacing this with an LED equivalent barring some persuasive argument as to why one cannot or should not do this (and I have done so on other cars).

To even get near the thing on the driver's side, it looks like I'd have to pull the battery, and even then it wouldn't be a particularly easy reach.

Is there some trick (obvious or not) that would make the changing of the front turn signal lamps far easier than it appears it will be?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll watch, but the Solara headlamp assembly is quite different than the one shown.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how I missed it in the Owner's Manual earlier, but even Toyota doesn't want you to change certain lamps. I quote:

-- Front fog, parking, front side marker, and front turn signal lights If either the left or right front fog, parking, front side marker, or front turn signal lights burns out, contact your Toyota dealer.
(followed by this, enclosed in a "yellow caution frame"): Do not attempt to replace the front fog, parking, front side marker and front turn signal light bulbs by yourself. You may damage the vehicle.

It's a bit of a shock, to say the least, that something as seemingly simple, and certain to be necessary, maintenance task like replacing a light bulb should be beyond the abilities of most owners. And having observed how that turn signal bulb is accessed, this is one of those situations where the designers should be shot, hung, and burned at the stake.

The above being said, if the dealer can do it clearly there is a way, and that way is almost certainly not beyond what a decent DIYer can do.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
15,264 Posts
Wow! I agree if they can you can. Is there a wrecked one in a yard close to you to practice on or maybe the damage to it will reveal a secret.
Is this the same as yours? It says Solara!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@sdspeed,

Yep, that would be it! There is no real difference between the 2004 and 2006 model they use in regard to the task at hand. Someone asked me the other day what "that thing" (the fastener that shows on the inner edge of the front side of the wheel well was about, and now I know.

I remain appalled that the designers made it this freakin' difficult to deal with this bulb change. You can see the actual bulb holder assembly from within the engine bay, and the one on the right side could have been made easily accessible were the opening in the fender just the tiniest bit larger than it is. On the left, the battery would have to be removed to get at it even if the opening were larger (so at least I can justify the choice on that side).

But, I thank you very, very much for having located this. I found nothing on YouTube and had not had the time to keep digging this evening.

I intend to go "full LED" with all of the small bulbs, front and rear, including the license plate lamps. I think as of the 2007 model year Toyota switched over to LEDs, but not as bulbs but as part of the light assemblies (but I could be wrong, but the one image I recently saw of the brake lights looked like an LED array, not a bulb). Those are even more of a nightmare to deal with than conventional bulbs if you have random LEDs in the array go out. It's generally an all or nothing replacement except for all but the most dedicated DIY tinkerers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.