Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just bought an o4 tacoma 4x4 double cab, but I don'tknow how to work the 4wheel. I was messing around with it for awhile and kinda grinded the gears blah blah im stupid.lol

So I don't wanna mess with it again until I get proper instructions.
I wanna get into the offroading scene so learning this wheel be very helpful. :)

Anyways know any site for instructions or any advice and tutorials? :)

·
Registered
'20 gray crewcab 4x4; sold '09 access cab 4x4, '94 T100 4x4, '85 4x4, '82 2x4 pickup
501 Posts
General rules: Don't engage the front axle on dry, hard surfaced roads. Don't go from high range to low range while moving or with the transmission in gear. You can shift from 2WD to 4WD on the move, but not while giving it gas and preferably at slower speeds. My personal experience says don't use 4WD (full-time 4WD or AWD are a different matter) on icy roads at normal driving speeds. Keep the tire pressures the same all around--significant differences can cause problems. Your owner's manual should give you the basic requirements. Websites such as this, and those dedicated to 4 wheeling, will tell you a lot. Try browsing through previous posts. You will probably learn a lot. Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ditto

For 4WD low: stop the vehicle, place the transmission in N, pull the 4WD lever to 4WD low, put the transmission in drive, and go for it. To switch back to 4WD high or 2WD high you must repeat the process above.

For 4WD high: you can switch into and out of this while moving but do so at lower speeds and not while accelerating.

--Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts