Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, while i was looking in the engine bay, i noticed that it says not to replace the transmission fluid on the dip stick. Im pretty sure that i read it correctly but just wanted to make sure. Does my tacoma require transmission fluid change? if so, when?

btw, it's a 04 tacoma auto v6 2x4 prerunner. thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the link.. while i was checking out the link, it seems like only requirements are engine oil and filter. According to the link, transmission oil is only required to be changed when the car's been driving on special conditions. Does this mean that it's not specifically required to be changed when driven in normal condition? i'll try to get a picture of the sticker soon as I can :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have a 2004 4x4 Tacoma auto I did pan drains at 30k,until recently I took it tio the dealership for a full flush $200 well worth it at 61K miles. My dipstick says the same as yours but I feel the truck shifts alot better now Im glad I did the pan drains/flush its real easy to drain and refill thru the dipstick hole with thin funnel,4Qts. T-IV Tranny fluid(from Dealer) the manual says 2.1qts. but I'll really take a little less than 4qts.,new drain plug gasket(Dealership) and dont overtighten the drain plug they strip very easy no more than 15ft./pds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh i see! thanks for the info. When i saw the sticker, I was like Woah!! i didn't know transmission oil lasted forever.. lol. Good to know that people still change oil. You got me motivated to change my oil now :) thanks

·
OLD SCHOOL
668 Posts
I had mine flushed at the dealer at 60,000. It was still cherry red which is good don't wait till it changes colors. I will flush it again at 120,000. Dropping the pan and changing it that way only changes 3-4 qys but the total capacity is like 17 qts that why I got the flush. Yeah its $200 but a rebuild is like $1800 minimum plus downtime.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tranny Flush

Instead of going to the dealer and getting charged up the ass. You should get a tranny flush, most of the oil change places do it and I only payed like $80. I mean you only can go in with the new and out with the old one way. Even though the dealer is probably the best way to go, because if theres a way a guy making 8 dollars an hour can screw somthing up, he will...:D

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
For the last several years, Toyota has not been recommending changing the trans fluid unless you're driving under severe or special conditions such as towing. They tell you to inspect it often, but there is no regular change interval. I'm not sure why, as there doesn't seem to be anything special about their fluids or the transmissions that have a dipstick. I'd still change the fluid on a regular basis.

The newest powertrains from Toyota have a "sealed" transmission - no dipstick - so they seriously don't expect you to change that fluid. It's a different fluid - "ATF WS" - so maybe it will OK. It is possible to change the fluid in one of those trannys, but you should have the dealer do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
trans oil change

Remember to get the correct trans fluid (type 4) there is another one you can use, usually sold at walmart (castrol type 4 for IMPORTS, 5.00 a Quart) I buy enough for a double change, beats the heck out of paying 200.00 for a change, i put in four quarts and run it for a week then change it out one more time till the cherry color of the fluid looks good, typically the fluid looks a little orange when it has a lot of miles. Use a clean white napkin to better see the color difference. i have 273000 on my 04 v6 tacoma

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
compal55
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing