Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 99 tacoma tht i've been avg'g 26+ MPG for last 4yrs w/88.5 mi on odometer-----just bought 04 tacoma w/44k mi----they are both 2.4 and 5 spd-----14" on 99 ----15" rims on the 04 w/1/2" oversize diameter and same on the width plus these are a/t.......street tires on older truck.....how can there be tht much difference? 22 v 26.....will chg oil soon hoping stealership used heavier oil.....any suggestions-----tires are new and won't offset replace'g em to try for better mpg....help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
switch rims and tires between the trucks to rule out the heavier rims, etc as the source of your poor mileage... also, which one has newer spark plugs??

Hell, i get 18mpg with my 2002 doublecab v6 4x4.... I wish I at least got 20mpg. and i already baby the gas as it is....

·
Registered
2003 Tacoma TRD
216 Posts
You must have a 2wd??? I am only getting 19 with my 03 v6 4x4 extra cab and I baby the gas pretty good. I almost got twenty once on a freeway trip... ha I want to put up a sail!

·
Registered
2000 Tacoma TRD
239 Posts
I have 00' Taco 2wd TRD and I get between 17-20 depending on how I drive and where I drive. Granted I do have slightly larger tired and different (heavier) wheels. However, completely stock I was only getting 19mpg or so.

·
Registered
04 Tacoma , 08 Camry
5 Posts
I have a 04 tacoma 2wd automatic with stock rims and 225/70/15 tires and get 19to21 at the best. I use a k/n air filter and required motor oil weight of m1 and toyota oil filter.

·
Registered
2004 Tacoma
52 Posts
Heavier wheels don't impact fuel economy as much as the difference in circumference of the wheels. The wheels on your 04 have a larger circumference, therefore rotate less to cover the same distance. So your odometer is reading that you've travelled less distance.

22/26 = 85%.
Calculate your tire circumference and see if the tires on the 99 are 85% the circumference of the 04. If it is, you know you are getting the same MPG, your odometer is just reading a little different.

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
^maybe he did. but circumference isn't going to make a 4mpg difference, whereas, a heavier All Terrain tire AND possibly a heavier rim certainly will.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
took it back to dealership and they vag com'd it and was 2-3 miles off on speedo so they put proper size street tires on it.......will check back after a tank or 2

·
Registered
109 Posts
^maybe he did. but circumference isn't going to make a 4mpg difference, whereas, a heavier All Terrain tire AND possibly a heavier rim certainly will.
Hmm, let me try again: 4 mpg difference is not real, if you use GPS to measure the distance instead of the speedometer millage you will not see it.

Bigger circumference will most likely improve your gas millage, you'll always be in "higher gear".

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
^the circumference of tires does not make your mpg any different.

by the GPS, you will still travel the same distance with any circumference tire. undersized tires will VERY VERY slightly under report the miles on your odometer when your odometer is calibrated for the stock size tire....but not by much, and will throw your MPG off by maybe .5mpg.....NOT by 4mpg. There is something else besides tire circumference causing the discrepancy between trucks.

·
Registered
2004 Tacoma
52 Posts
Fromt the factory, speedometers are regulated to be calibrated within 10% of actual speed which could account for some of the difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts