Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manual says 5.8 US quarts, yet 5 qts puts the oil level over the full mark on the dip stick. Yes, measured it on level ground after running it and I did put a new oil filter on. I have searched the forum and see that others have indicated a like problem, but I do not see a definitive answer, e.g. is the manual wrong or what am I missing? I am new to the forum, but have had a similiar problem with other cars/trucks where if you put in the amt of oil specified by the manufacture you over fill the engine, at least as far as the dip stick measures. So is the manual wrong or the dip stick wrong? I can not belive its the filter making a 1 quart plus difference.
Thanks for the information/help.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I thought it was 5.7 qts. This is my second 3.4 litre taco and they both have taken that much oil. I have ran an oversized M1 filter to make it an even 6 qts.

·
trd04taco
2004 Tacoma 4WD TRD
476 Posts
With the 3.4L V6, you should get at least 5.5 quarts in there without over filling it if you drain everything out including changing the filter. The manual is correct with my oil changes. 5.8 quarts brings it right up to just a little over the middle of the "full" range on the stick in my truck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had been putting just 5qts in my 3.4l till i realized that it takes a little more. So I bought an extra quart and as I put more in I checked the dipstick and it took the whole quart (6 total) to bring the level to the top of the marks on the dipstick.

Be sure you run the engine for a little bit after putting on the new filter, if you don't then yes it will read high on the dipstick because the oil hasn't filled up the filter.

Dan

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
109 Posts
I ran into the same problem with my first oil change in my 2004 Tacoma. I put in 5.75 qts per the manual (5.8 qts listed). I drove it to work and then checked it. It was exactly 1 qt over-filled.

I contacted Toyota via e-mail. I was told that the 5.8 qts in the manual (for my 2.4l) was correct. They advised, however, to always follow the proper fill procedure by gradually re-filling and checking as you go. Long story short, all they did was change the dipstick length and left the book value alone.

For a 2.4l, the correct fill is 4.75 qts with a filter change. The Toyota Service Manager told me that the SOP for an oil change in a 4 cyl is 4.5 qts, regardless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts