Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time user here...just asking for your kind wisdom. I hope this is the right forum.

Would you prefer a 04 XLE AWD Limited over a new 06 Sienna CE for the same price? the '04 still got 2 yrs Toyota warranty and about 50K miles (with option of extending it).

What are the things to look for in buying a used sienna from a Toyota dealer? Thanks.

·
Registered
380 Posts
06 Sienna, since the 2004 was the first year that it was introduced and as such, did have a few bugs with it.

With a 06, you will have the full warranty period. Assuming the 04 does have 50 000 miles (and not km), then your bumper to bumper warranty is gone, and only the power train is left. Keep in mind that after 60 000km, you still pay the diagnostic fee (~$90), every time you think there is a problem.

Good Luck

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
I like options. I would personally go with the 04 myself. I would rather have a couple of year older vehicle with all the bells and whistles than a new one that is stripped down by comparison. If you can extend the warranty on the 04 then I would definitley go for it. COmpare that same vehicle to what a new one would run and you can get an idea of how much you would be saving.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

Cyorke said:
If you can extend the warranty on the 04 then I would definitley go for it. COmpare that same vehicle to what a new one would run and you can get an idea of how much you would be saving.
Thanks for the responses guys :D
Yeah I talked to the dealer and said I can extend the Toyta warranty (ECP) for another 60,00kms or 3 years (bumper-to-bumper).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own an XLE 04 AWD and I didnt notice any bugs with mine.. However, there was a dealer recall for a sliding door lock assembly which may cause vibrations... they replaced the entire lock assembly and threw in 2 oil changes for free. (Don valley Toyota in Markham, Ontario Canada).

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you are looking at a Sienna AWD van you need to study up on the "run flat tire" (RFT)situation. I suspect the dealer has not mentioned this HUGE problem that may initiate a class action suit against Toyota.

The AWD Sienna has no spare tire and instead depends upon the new RFT technology to allow those with a flat to get to the service station for repair. RFTs are very expensive and are wearing out on the Sienna's typically around 25k miles - although I've seen posts that are claiming, in some instances, of wearing out in as little as 11k miles.

In addition, reports are all over the internet about the decreased gas mileage the RFTs apparently are causing. I'm seeing reports of 13-15mpg being typical.

Check out the RFT situation and decide for yourself. In my case it has unfortunately completely put me off buying an AWD Sienna - one of the last remaining AWD vans available to the US driving public. As a happy Toyota owner otherwise it is deeply disturbing to hear of the AWD Sienna's problems and I hope Toyota will address this in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts