Toyota Nation Forum banner

05+ Auto Trans Fluid Change Instr.

4K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Grumpy_X 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Worked just fine for me too.

#8 · (Edited)
I am pretty sure that they dont flush the tranny. I have heard that all they do is drain and fill. Flushing could damage the tranny. Just a through draining is all that is needed.
I didnt read anything about "flushing" in the service manual. I think its just a jiffy lube term(there are actual flushes but imo its not worth the risk). So if you are comfortable paying someone $100 buck for a trans fluid change... so be it. :eek:

Its just an oil change with specific oil... and a couple extra steps.

#9 ·
I am pretty sure that they dont flush the tranny. I have heard that all they do is drain and fill. Flushing could damage the tranny. Just a through draining is all that is needed.
I didnt read anything about "flushing" in the service manul. I think its just a jiffy lube term. So if you are comfortable paying someone $100 buck for a trans fluid change... so be it. :eek:

Its just an oil change with specific oil... and a couple extra steps.
For an auto...a trans flush is definately the way to go if you get a good deal on it. You get out all the fluid that is up in the torque converter that does not drain out when you do a simple drain and refill. If you change the fluid a little more often with the drain and refill though, there isn't a huge need to have a tranny flush done.

#10 ·
Some info i found...
makes sense although... does Toyota really think that the fluid in our trannys will make it to 100k... and if and when we service them (ie flush/drain) and put in new fluids... will we end up with a ton of grenaded trannys?
I will not wait for 100k i am getting close to 50k. gonna hit it then. And since we cant see our fluid... check for rancid smell or metal flakes we will have to wait and see when people start draining them to see how the yota fluid is holding up.

http://www.gadgetonline.com/TransFlush.htm

#16 ·
15qts???? No way!

At most I would say 6-7 qts....

just a typical drain and refill is all I'm talking about.

In the instructions I posted it says add 5.6 qts for an entire trans re-assembly + the amount to fill up the pan.

It is very important that all steps of the process are followed and that you use only 'ATF WS'. Most critical step would be the making sure that you have the transmission fluid at the exact temp range when checking the the ovefill tube for final fluid level check.

#20 ·
Entire transmission assembly 5.3 L (5.60 US qts, 4.66 lmp qts)

FYI you guys that want to download this file. Search "05+_FSM" on google or what ever. Its got all the info you could need on the truck. It use to be in our DIY section untill toyota made people remove it off there servers of what ever they did.

#18 ·
the scangauge doesnt have this feature. a/t temp is very important. the cooler the transmission, the longer it last. im changing my fluid out at 30,000 miles, it may be excessive, but i wheel and tow, and i never go by what the mainetenance says. the mainetenance to me is BS, they just want us to mess up our trucks quicker so we can go buy a new one in a few years. im keepin this thing for minimum of 10 years, so i change fluids out much more often.

#23 · (Edited)
That file is only how to fill your tranny. Doesn't say a thing about draining it. :disappoin

The overflow plug is just that - an overflow.

Plus there has gotta be a filter in there somewhere. :rolleyes:
I think draining is pretty straight forward. Didn't think you need an instruction on that.

Take the file for what its worth.

Also wanted to add that I don't think there is a filter for the auto trans.. Pretty strange I agree. I just looked through the manual and I don't see anything about it. Doesn't mention it even in the disassembly or installation procedures.

Since it is a sealed tranmission with "special" fluid, I suppose it would have the same concept of a manual transmission with respect to the filter. I don't recall a filter being in any manual tranny I've ever worked on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.