Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased this 05 yesterday and when changing oil noticed that previous owner had 2 axles with 4 cv joints replaced so rubber boots are great but I do have a gear oil leak on drivers side shaft where it hooks onto transfer case . I imagine when they replaced the shaft and inserted into transfer case not sure how it connects there that they damaged a seal. Would Is the only way to stop leak removal of whole shaft on drivers side and replace a seal on transfer case?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is automatic maybe proper term is where the shaft goes into trans. about 3" out from there I will try to post picture.
20200114_195612.jpg

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,267 Posts
Either Oil Seal Type T or an oil leak from on top. Look for it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really would not know how to stop that leak I'm thinking that maybe there was too much lube put in that joint and that ounce some leaks out it will stop leaking but it is making somewhat of a mess down there spinning off axle when driving and even sitting if I wipe it off I can see it start weeping immediately as shown in picture. It seems like gear oil to me not trans. oil. The boots and axles seem new and there are no noises coming from joints.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,267 Posts
There is no gear oil, there is only (hopefully red) ATF fluid, engine oil, or power steering fluid.

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,733 Posts
Differentials in these toyota use ATF. It'll be red if it's leaking. Otherwise brown could be motor oil. Looks like it could be CV joint grease. even if it runs out, you can get a lot of miles out of them depending on climate. Our tropics, I've seen torn CV joint last a good year/20-30K before they really get bad. Of course if you drive in a lot of water/deep water...

I would clean it up and see if it keep leaking. Axle replacement can be a pain because of the axle nut need to be unstaked....but if it is leaking I would consider getting CV axle replacement in a bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those I think is an axle oil seal. If the former owner replaced a new CV rubber boot, it’s also best to replace the axle oil seal which is worth 10 bucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts