Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy a 05 camry SE with Nave but had a few questions: -

How up to date is the Navigation system (dvd) in the car, meaning do I need to buy an up grade every year or so?? I read some where that the maps are from like a 2001 map dvd!!

Is it true that the Navigation system can be used only in certain areas (quadrants)?? Meaning since I live in Phil, and I decide to drive to Atlanta will I need to up load another Navigation (dvd) half way on the trip to get the maps for Atlanta area...or can just drive across the country with out changing the Nave dvd??

Is it possible to play DVD movies on the same system?? If not what type of alterations can be done?

·
Registered
101 Posts
the whole point of GPS going to dvd technology was that one DVD would cover all the regions in the US....

I don't know of any GPS system in the states that allows you to play VIDEO dvd's in the nav system....

i'm sure u can find a way to enable that but obviously its a safety issue...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was told by some one (car sales man) that the GPS systems were devided into quaderants like the notheast, southeast and so on and so forth, just wanted to make sure this wasn't true.

and one more thing how good is the toyota system compared to the honda navigation system ( instruments in the car)

·
Bootyologist
2004 Toyota Camry LE
1,531 Posts
controls on steering wheel, voice command.. when you take a trip you have to take it to dealer and they upload different maps depending on where you go...

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
The toyota navigation system uses one dvd for all the 48 continental states and covers 4 or 5 meptroplitian areas of cananda. You do not have to switch dvds. They update the dvd every 2-3 years with all the new street names and addresses. The updated dvd is like 250 dollars. If you are traveling cross country you have to first pick what area you are traveling to, then enter the address and the navi will get you there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts