Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i just got my 05 Corolla XRS.... and its SOOO QUIET..... and i heard that the stock paper filters have a lot of air restriction from factory and that there may be a drop in replacement that i can use without replacing the stock air box to give me a little better sound/better flow..... Anyone have any good experience with finding a drop in filter to give a little more power/sound to the car? I also heard that you can mess with/remove something on the stock air box to give it more flow/sound.... anyone heard of this? Any help would be great. I would prefer a dryflow air filter versus an oiled one... but let me know whats up. I dont have to money to spend on a CAI so i wanna do some cheap modding for the moment to get the most results/sound/power that i can.... THANKS!!~~

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Replacing an air filter with another drop in would only produce negligable gains that are too small to notice.

IMO, just drive it as it is now. You should wait until you save up enough for an Injen CAI instead of wasting money on something that you'll only end up replacing at a later date. It will be well worth the wait in the long run.

·
10' Corolla S
10 Corolla S
158 Posts
Most performance drop-ins are oil coated and will mess your MAF up sooner or later...I have a CAI and only notice a differance around 3-4k. The wider the tube the deeper the sound...or so says logic.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats for your new baby...
ha its funny you say it like that.... because i had been driving a B16A3 Del Sol DOHC VTEC for a couple years.... and just found out that my girl is pregnant and having a ''real baby''.... so this is the reason that i bought my XRS in te 1st place.... so i could have a fun 4 door to drive.... and after a few days of driving it... i love it more and more each day.... driving it over 300miles today after work from St. Louis to Marshalltown Iowa.... and im not even mad because im excited i get to drive my car for HOURS!!!

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
I wouldn't mess with a drop-in filter. Frankly, I wouldn't even mess with a cold air intake either, but I certainly wouldn't spend money on a drop-in. The OE Denso filter is a high quality filter...good filtration and negligible restriction.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok well im considering buying a FUJITA F5 Short Ram Intake... the one that i found thats best priced....the description for it is saying 2006-2007 Corolla XRS.... Mine is a 2005.... this will still fit correct? Anything 2005-2008 and even a 2004 for a Matrix? Just want to clarify before i order it....

·
Registered
'07 Corolla
211 Posts
These engines respond fairly well to bolt ons, and most will actually IMPROVE fuel mileage, so don't be afraid to have some fun (the potential damage from an oiled filter is really negligible). This is the same 2ZZGE that went into the Celica GTS and is still used in the Lotus Elise, so you can imagine what kind of potential there is to be had with it. It's really the K series of the Toyota world, but with less aftermarket support.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Buy Injen Cold Air Intake and the sound of the car will change entirely between 6000 and 8400 rpm.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Ok well im considering buying a FUJITA F5 Short Ram Intake... the one that i found thats best priced....the description for it is saying 2006-2007 Corolla XRS.... Mine is a 2005.... this will still fit correct? Anything 2005-2008 and even a 2004 for a Matrix? Just want to clarify before i order it....
There is no such thing as a 2007 XRS.

I wouldn't bother wasting my money on a short ram intake that just draws hot air in from the engine bay, it would not work as efficiently as a cold air intake thats mounted lower and draws in cooler denser air to the engine for more power.

IMO, just stick to the PPE or Injen CAIs.

·
Registered
'07 Corolla
211 Posts
There is no such thing as a 2007 XRS.

I wouldn't bother wasting my money on a short ram intake that just draws hot air in from the engine bay, it would not work as efficiently as a cold air intake thats mounted lower and draws in cooler denser air to the engine for more power.

IMO, just stick to the PPE or Injen CAIs.
Add a heat shield and you'll be fine. Also, the shorter, smoother pipes on a SRI improve air flow, and they usually design them to pull air from somewhere away from the engine itself.

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
It doesn't have to be pointing "at" the engine to suck in hot air. I have an ABS cold air intake pipe (still with the stock filter) that runs from the airbox to down near the fog light area. I just wanted the system to pull cold air, not change to a full CAI because I want to retain the stock filter. There's a dramatic difference in the temperature of the pipe that's exposed to the engine compartment vs. exposed to the area behind the fog light. Heat shields are okay, but unless they completely seal the air filter from the engine compartment (which you can't really do, based on where an SRI places the filter cone), they're really irrelevant.

I agree that if you're doing to do it, do a CAI. SRIs are often good for fuel economy, if that's what you're after. The hot air will produce less power, but will also require less fuel to maintain the desired A/F ratio. People who really try to hypermile will actually install their filters right next to the exhaust manifold, for example, to get that really hot air into the engine. Keeps fuel use to an absolute minimum (at the expense of other things of course).

It's all a compromise...

·
Registered
'07 Corolla
211 Posts
It doesn't have to be pointing "at" the engine to suck in hot air. I have an ABS cold air intake pipe (still with the stock filter) that runs from the airbox to down near the fog light area. I just wanted the system to pull cold air, not change to a full CAI because I want to retain the stock filter. There's a dramatic difference in the temperature of the pipe that's exposed to the engine compartment vs. exposed to the area behind the fog light. Heat shields are okay, but unless they completely seal the air filter from the engine compartment (which you can't really do, based on where an SRI places the filter cone), they're really irrelevant.

I agree that if you're doing to do it, do a CAI. SRIs are often good for fuel economy, if that's what you're after. The hot air will produce less power, but will also require less fuel to maintain the desired A/F ratio. People who really try to hypermile will actually install their filters right next to the exhaust manifold, for example, to get that really hot air into the engine. Keeps fuel use to an absolute minimum (at the expense of other things of course).

It's all a compromise...
I didn't want to do this, but you people have forced me into it. Please read the following: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=425447&t=406869&p=1

I can't believe I had to dig that $#[email protected] up for this.

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
Can't find anything in that thread that's not already been mentioned here...except for a bunch of kids asking "what's an intake".

·
Registered
36 Posts
ha its funny you say it like that.... because i had been driving a B16A3 Del Sol DOHC VTEC for a couple years.... and just found out that my girl is pregnant and having a ''real baby''.... so this is the reason that i bought my XRS in te 1st place.... so i could have a fun 4 door to drive.... and after a few days of driving it... i love it more and more each day.... driving it over 300miles today after work from St. Louis to Marshalltown Iowa.... and im not even mad because im excited i get to drive my car for HOURS!!!
Yea I drove from MS to New Orleans this past weekend and was surprised how comfortable it was on long trips.

·
Registered
'07 Corolla
211 Posts
My point was that an intake is an intake is an intake. In the grand scheme of things, the gain from one or two extra feet of metal tube is unnoticeable. Anyone that says otherwise is either reading too many dyno charts and not going to the track enough, or an idiot with a broken butt dyno.

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
My point was that an intake is an intake is an intake. In the grand scheme of things, the gain from one or two extra feet of metal tube is unnoticeable. Anyone that says otherwise is either reading too many dyno charts and not going to the track enough, or an idiot with a broken butt dyno.
Oh okay; yeah, I concur with that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts