Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 05 Highlander limited. It has 134,000 miles. A few days after my purchase I noticed a grinding noise in the steering column when turning left and right at slow speeds. I took it to my local repair shop. They told my that the power steering pump was leaking, $325.00 later I still have the same noise. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m not sure. I have only taken it to a local repair shop. They told me today that they greased The universal joints in the steering column

·
Registered
71 Posts
I second Folsom. It's something in the pinion.
Pinion? The pinion is inside the steering housing, along with the rack.
The screen I mentioned in in the bottom of the reservoir that is mounted
to the top of the power steering pump (on my Tacoma, that is), and you can't see it.
I am assuming that the Highlander is the same. If not, I apologize.

Edit - I believe my Highlander has a remote (ie not attached to the pump) PS reservoir.
It may also have a separate (replaceable) in-line filter. The Haynes manual does not
mention that. Perhaps the FSM will have better detail on this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today I took it to a different repair shop. He tells me he thinks it is the clock spring that is making the noise. Has anyone ever heard of this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an 05 as well with 92K miles. Had the same issue about 4 years ago now. My Toyota dealer said it was the intermediate steering shaft and it would cost somewhere between 3-4 hundred to replace it. They said it was a known problem. I asked if there was a cheaper fix, they said no. I took it to another mechanic I have known since high school who runs a shop. They fixed it (lubed etc) for a bit more than one hundred. Hasn't made another noise since. It pays to know a good,trustworthy independent mechanic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven’t noticed the problem for about a week now. I did have the power steering pump and the high pressure hose replaced for about $700. Now when I start it first thing in the morning and go to turn out of my driveway, the steering wheel moves like it doesn’t have power steering. It only does it one time and is perfectly fine the rest of the day. It only does it first thing in the morning. It’s really weird.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Today I took it to a different repair shop. He tells me he thinks it is the clock spring that is making the noise. Has anyone ever heard of this?
The 'clock spring' is a coiled set of wires that connects the controls on the steering wheel
to the main wiring harness. All modern vehicles have one, as far as I know.
I've never heard of this causing a grinding noise, but its possible.
The steering wheel needs to be removed to replace it.
This part (alone) could cost up to $500, if this is the issue.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
The 'clock spring' is a coiled set of wires that connects the controls on the steering wheel
to the main wiring harness. All modern vehicles have one, as far as I know.
I've never heard of this causing a grinding noise, but its possible.
The steering wheel needs to be removed to replace it.
This part (alone) could cost up to $500, if this is the issue.
That’s what I have been told, $400-$500 for the part and about $100 in labor.
I sorta doubt it is the clock spring making the noise but... I guess one way to test it is to remove the intermediate steering shaft and just spin the steering wheel. Rather take that back. I guess one way to test this is to remove the intermediate steering shaft and spin the steering wheel X rotations then spin it back by the same amount of rotations. Spinning it too much can damage(?) the clockspring but this is what I would do before actually replacing the clock spring.
  1. Set steering wheel to "zero" (straight)
  2. Remove intermediate steering shaft
  3. Spin steering wheel X times left (listen for sound)
  4. Spin steering wheel back X amount of times to "zero"
  5. Spin steering wheel X times right (listen for sound)
  6. Spin steering wheel back X amount of times "zero"
  7. If there is no sound, then it is not the clock spring
  8. If there is sound, it could be the clock spring
No need to replace a part if it is not broken but this testing could lead it to being broken...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts