Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Tacoma TRD Ext Cab 228k (mine), 2004 Sequoia 118k (hers), 2005 Corolla Le 110k (hers)
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious, just finished up replacing the fuel pump and strainer on my grandaughters 05 LE. It had 110k on it and I'm sure run many times low on fuel. Wasn't bad to do, fact is it was probably one of the easiest in tank pump replacements I've done. While troubleshooting I noticed that when starting there is no voltage to the pump prior to cranking for any type of prime run. Once you start cranking pump is powered up, engine starts and runs. Is this normal for this vehicle? If I remember correctly anything that I've worked on in the past that was fuel injected the pump would always cycle through a prime run prior to cranking and starting. Never really noticed this before she had the pump failure but the vehicle has been starting and running fine ???

·
Various Toyotas
4,263 Posts
Yes, that's normal for this car, unlike many other cars. Why did you replace the pump? You said "failure", but what symptoms did you have? I've never had a problem with my fuel pump on my 2004 Corolla, even with 382K miles.

·
Registered
2004 Tacoma TRD Ext Cab 228k (mine), 2004 Sequoia 118k (hers), 2005 Corolla Le 110k (hers)
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vehicle quit while the grandkid was driving it. When I got to checking it out it was very low on fuel and after hot wiring the pump and checking it with an ohm meter I determined that the pump was trashed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She was lucky this time, only cost her $140 for parts and a 10 mile tow and Grandpa's labor is cheap if ya know what I mean. Hopefully a cheap lesson learned. Just keep it above a quarter tank !

·
Various Toyotas
4,263 Posts
Then I can't explain why I haven't had a problem with my pump, because I almost always let the gas tank go to empty or very often below the empty line (and often quite a large ways below the empty line) on the gauge before I fill up the tank. It's been a while, but I've also run out of gas a few times and my pump is still working fine.

·
Registered
408 Posts
MY $0.02:

False economy on running dry. You might have great quality gas in past. When I had to replace my tank on beater 04 CE, I replaced the filter for ~$25 IIRC. In rust belt, also had to buy ~$75 of dealer parts to replace rusted stuff for tank R&R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts