Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bummed out when stopping at 3 different parts store trying to indentify and obtain an oil filter. Surely this is not a dealer only item. I am due for the first change.

·
Registered
09Venza 06AvalonXLS
32 Posts
Hey thanks for the good info on the oil filter or cartridge replacement. It will save me lots of agony looking for the filter, The writeup pretty much details what is involved. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
oil filter

Does anyone know why Avalon has the filter element instead of the normal spin on oil filter? This seems like turning the clock back 50 years when all oil filters were an element.

·
Avalon Enthusiast
05Avalon, 03Mustang
1,086 Posts
Accordingh to Toyota literature:
(1) Less solid waste for Dealers. The discarded filter element can be burned.
(2) A much higher quality anti-drainback valve can be incorporated since it is not part of what you replace.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I agree with "why not go back to the dealer". $5 is about right for a good kit. You can do it yourself. Let it drain a lot longer than Jiffy Lube or the dealers will let it drain (@ $50per hour), and have the knowledge that it was done properly!
We've been using those cartridge filters for over five years on some German jobs - VW ,BMW and Audi for example, and in my opinion the trade off is worth the inconvenience.
A larger more effective anti drain back valve for one, Vertical orientation for more complete drainage (in some applications) for two. Third, I think this configuration allows for less (solid) waste as mentioned. Lastly, there should be less "dry start" wear since the filter can be primed better and that to me is worth the effort.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just let the dealer do the whole oil change. If you spend $5 on a kit, then dispose of the used oil, (depending on where you go it might be a couple of dollars) you're at $8 or so. My local Toyota dealer charges $24.95 for an oil change. So you're going to spend $17 to let someone else do all the labor and get dirty. Seems reasonable to me. Plus the technicians are trained to scan your car for any visual clues that something is wrong. You'll probably miss those. Don't be cheap, I know you guys can afford to spend $17, I mean you did buy a $30k car after all.

·
X Avalon
316 Posts
u know, money is not the issue,

the issue is dealer is stealer and some of the tech just day dreaming all day.

At least it's like you are protecting the engine by urself

·
Registered
Toyota Matrix
107 Posts
I can't believe how paranoid so many people are of dealerships,you go there to buy or lease (rent) a 30+k car mainly because you've heard so much about Toyota quality and dependability,(and to keep up with the Jonses) then you go and rush out to buy non genuine parts thinking that it is of the quality,WRONG. Auto part stores can sell for less because after market parts are of a lesser standard of quality. If a dealer screws up your car,it will repair/replace any damage, who's going to fix it if you screw up doing an oil change in your drive?
Toyota and all other dealers get the hourly service charges they do,because they have factory trained techs. Meaning that the company that built the car, trains its dealers techs, how the new technology it has put into its new car works & why it works.This training is NOT free, upwards of $500 per course,per technition.
You do not have a clue what training & testing that dealer techs have to go through,every time a new model comes out, they have to know all about it, and Toyota will test them.
$24.95 is a small price to pay to keep your car from being bastardized with non Toyota crap. And an assurance the job has been done properly.

·
X Avalon
316 Posts
40k i bought this avalon is not because i can't pay that 24.95, it's I'm man enough to change my own oil using TOYOTA filter

·
Avalon Enthusiast
05Avalon, 03Mustang
1,086 Posts
Similar to what Hsakuragi said . . . it's not just the money. If I lived near a Toyota dealer who charged $25, who I trusted, and and had lots of time to kill, I would probably not bother to change my own oil. Unfortunately for me, none of the above are true.

COST
The local dealer periodically sends me coupons for their "$19.95 oil change special", but you have to read the fine print. The $19.95 is labor only, and does not include:
The oil ($20.65) or oil filter ($8.25)
Evironmental disposal fee ($4.50)
Docummentation charge ($2) (this is to retain a record for certification of warranty compliance).
So the true cost is $55.35.

TIME & CONVENIENCE
DIY takes me 35 minutes. If I drive to the Dealer and wait while they do the work, it's a total of 3 hours. I can avoid the wait by leaving the car all day, but then I have to inconvenience a friend or relative to make 2 trips to pick me up and return me later in the day.

PARKING ISSUES
The service customer parking spaces at this Dealer are barely wide enough for a Mini Cooper, never mind an Avalon. I've watched the Techs regularly smash the doors of cars into adjacent ones as they rush to retreive and return vehicles for service. Of course, there is a prominent sign stating any consequential damage to your vehicle is not their responsibility (not that they would ever admit to any). No thanks.

COMPETENCY
At least 9 Avalon owners have complained on this and the Edmunds Forum that Dealer Techs under filled their crankcase after an oil change. Evidently, some techs are still not aware the '05/'05 models hold more oil than pervious years. So much for the vaunted Toyota training. In addition, I have personally observed the techs at this Dealer drain the old oil without warming the engine first. This practice leaves the thickest residue of contaminants still in the oil pan.

PREVIOUS BAD DEALER EXPERIENCES
I've experienced numerous cases where the Dealers charged me for a requested service but did not actually perform it. This is probably one of those proverbial cases where 1 or 2 bad apples spoil the reputation of the entire basket. I have no factual basis to distrust this particular Dealer, but I am still wary.

That all said, my previous vehicle was a Volvo S80. That particular Dealer provided a free rental car, charged $42 for an oil change (all-inclusive), and had wide parking spaces in his lot. I had all of the oil changes done there. Because it was a leased car, I didn't care if they did it properly or not.

·
Registered
266 Posts
inov8 said:
Similar to what Hsakuragi said . . . it's not just the money. If I lived near a Toyota dealer who charged $25, who I trusted, and and had lots of time to kill, I would probably not bother to change my own oil. Unfortunately for me, none of the above are true.

COST
The local dealer periodically sends me coupons for their "$19.95 oil change special", but you have to read the fine print. The $19.95 is labor only, and does not include:
Docummentation charge ($2) (this is to retain a record for certification of warranty compliance).

TIME & CONVENIENCE
DIY takes me 35 minutes. If I drive to the Dealer and wait while they do the work, it's a total of 3 hours. I can avoid the wait by leaving the car all day, but then I have to inconvenience a friend or relative to make 2 trips to pick me up and return me later in the day.

PARKING ISSUES
The service customer parking spaces at this Dealer are barely wide enough for a Mini Cooper, never mind an Avalon. I've watched the Techs regularly smash the doors of cars into adjacent ones as they rush to retreive and return vehicles for service. Of course, there is a prominent sign stating any consequential damage to your vehicle is not their responsibility (not that they would ever admit to any). No thanks.

COMPETENCY
At least 9 Avalon owners have complained on this and the Edmunds Forum that Dealer Techs under filled their crankcase after an oil change. Evidently, some techs are still not aware the '05/'05 models hold more oil than pervious years. So much for the vaunted Toyota training. In addition, I have personally observed the techs at this Dealer drain the old oil without warming the engine first. This practice leaves the thickest residue of contaminants still in the oil pan.

PREVIOUS BAD DEALER EXPERIENCES
I've experienced numerous cases where the Dealers charged me for a requested service but did not actually perform it. This is probably one of those proverbial cases where 1 or 2 bad apples spoil the reputation of the entire basket. I have no factual basis to distrust this particular Dealer, but I am still wary.

That all said, my previous vehicle was a Volvo S80. That particular Dealer provided a free rental car, charged $42 for an oil change (all-inclusive), and had wide parking spaces in his lot. I had all of the oil changes done there. Because it was a leased car, I didn't care if they did it properly or not.
:rolleyes:
I pulled into the Toyota/Scion service stall, an attendant got into my car and drove it into the garage, then I paid $27.20 (24.95 + 9% sales tax) and left with my vehicle 25 minutes later (with no dents or scratches). And by the way, 9 bad oil changes hardly indicates poor training.

·
2,693 Posts
inov8 said:
Are you having your oil change done at a Toyota dealer, or a BMW dealer?

In addition, I have personally observed the techs at this Dealer drain the old oil without warming the engine first. This practice leaves the thickest residue of contaminants still in the oil pan.
You do realize after your engine oil warms up that it takes approx 5-8 hours for your oil to cool down to ambient air temp? Unless you have you vehicle towed to the dealer or it sits there for 5-8 hours, your engine oil is still warm. The technician driving the car inside from it's service parking space will also add temperature to your oil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts