Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: Corolla 2006 LE. After putting in a new battery, I searched but was unable to find an anchoring "hole" for the hook end of the L-shaped rod that is used for holding down the hold-down clamp on top of the battery. There was no such hole on the battery tray like it was normally located on the edge of the battery tray in other models of car. I tried to insert the L-shaped end under the battery tray but it would not stay and kept slipping out when I tried to tighten the nut on top of the hold-down bracket. I would appreciate it if someone can tell, with a photo if possible, where the anchoring hole is and if there is not one then how to secure the battery in place with the hold-down bracket. The other end of the bracket is set to be tied down with a screwed-in bolt onto the frame in the front portion of the car. Thanks.

· Registered
Corolla '07 LE
3 Posts
Thanks so much. I encountered this same problem after installing a TrueStart battery (to replace the original 8yr3mo battery) on my Corolla '07 today, and was just able to secure the battery after hooking the rod to the location indicated and tightening the nut and bolt on the clamp.

Just created an account to thank you for this valuable information. This Corolla forum is truly one of the best resources for DIYers.

By the way, for those who want to tighten the battery hold-down clamp to spec, the rear nut and front bolt should be torqued to 31 and 44 in*lbs, respectively. Torque spec on the negative battery terminal is 48 in*lbs. I wasn't able to find a value for the positive terminal, but since + and – terminal clamps appear similar, I used a 48-in*lb setting on the positive as well. (Please let me know if I'm mistaken; thanks again.)

· Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Thanks so much. I encountered this same problem after installing a TrueStart battery (to replace the original 8yr3mo battery) on my Corolla '07 today, and was just able to secure the battery after hooking the rod to the location indicated and tightening the nut and bolt on the clamp.

Just created an account to thank you for this valuable information. This Corolla forum is truly one of best resources for DIYers.

By the way, for those who want to tighten the clamp bar to spec, the rear nut and front bolt should be torqued to 31 and 44 in*lbs, respectively. Torque spec on the negative battery terminal is 48 in*lbs. I wasn't able to find a value for the positive terminal, but since + and – terminal clamps appear similar, I used a 48-in*lb setting on the positive as well. (Please let me know if I'm mistaken; thanks again.)

Now I have a question for YOU. What did you pay for your battery? Mind actually is longer than it is wider thus making the clamp ineffective. How much was your tru start and is there a core charge you got with it?

By the way, you should keep your account and stick around. We can always use new members :)

Not a problem by the way. Took me FOREVER to find it one night and I finally use a flashlight and there it was! This photo also makes it really easy to see since it's in such a tight fit when encased by the airbox and battery.

· Registered
Corolla '07 LE
3 Posts
Now I have a question for YOU. What did you pay for your battery? Mind actually is longer than it is wider thus making the clamp ineffective. How much was your tru start and is there a core charge you got with it?

By the way, you should keep your account and stick around. We can always use new members :)

Not a problem by the way. Took me FOREVER to find it one night and I finally use a flashlight and there it was! This photo also makes it really easy to see since it's in such a tight fit when encased by the airbox and battery.
I paid $99.95 + $18 core for it. The only reason I didn't buy a 3rd party, non-Toyota-branded (e.g. Everstart Maxx, Duralast Gold) battery is that my original lasted for so long (and, with its 415 remaining CCAs @ 22°F, may have actually survived this season if I hadn't replaced it). But after some research and discovering that many of the same original batteries did not enjoy such long lives, and that many reputable batteries, including the above, were made by Johnson Controls, perhaps choosing the Trustart over Duralast Gold or Everstart Maxx (which are perhaps more expensive, but have better warranties) won't make much of a difference after all.

Anyway, I'll be heading down to the dealership with the old battery to get my 18+tax back. Despite mixed reports, I hope this new one lasts me another 7-8 years.

· Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,858 Posts
TrueStart batteries are rebranded Interstate batteries. Interstate batteries are made by Johnson Controls who makes basically all North American batteries (they even bought Optima).

Basically if you buy an automotive battery in North America, it is made by Johnson Controls.

Reactions: pork2000

· 19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
8,379 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.