Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 Tacoma double cab 6 speed manual transmission V6. When putting it in 4 hi or low and in 1st gear to get unstuck, I have to rev the RMP's high just to get the front tires to turn. 4 low is even worse and most of the time I stall out before the truck even moves. I'm forced to "burn" the clutch just to get the bad boy out of a little mud patch. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Thanks in advance. -RJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not a 4wd guy, but hey anyways.
clutch engagement alright? at first glance its just sounding like your clutch is toast.. new clutch n throw out bearing?
Didja put big ol tires on it n such that might further strain the driveline and make stuff wear out faster?.. is an upgrade in order

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a 4wd guy, but hey anyways.
clutch engagement alright? at first glance its just sounding like your clutch is toast.. new clutch n throw out bearing?
Didja put big ol tires on it n such that might further strain the driveline and make stuff wear out faster?.. is an upgrade in order
Thanks for the response, I did have a 3 inch lift on it and 33's at one point. I have 141K on it and have never done a clutch. It engages fine but definitely feels different from when I bought it used at 86K.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can only offer speculation in regards to clutch work as I havent gotten to cross that bridge yet, but if it sounds reasonable to you also, it seems right to me. We can safely say that increasing rotating mass increases work on the clutch, hopefully someone savvy will chime in on whether the stock clutch can handle said extra load for long.
Again, not privy to 4WD. theres certainly more resistance on the front wheels than the rear as the bulk of vehicle weight sits atop them, but if you're getting full proper engagement from the rear wheels in this situation we may have to consider other possibilities cuz.. one clutch does both.

It would be reasonable to say that theres lots to overcome for the front end to get out of a rut vs just driving on a road, and that significant increase in work could highlight wear that would otherwise not be noticed for some time

Here's a link to axeladdict regarding clutch wear
I hope it's useful.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Sorry, AT guy here, and I never got mine stuck, since I use it for snow mostly.

But yeah, if the front wheels finally turn, it sounds like you are fully engaged. Are the rear wheels turning before the front ones?

·
Registered
14 Posts
just a thought. maybe inspect the front brake calipers!
I think at a point there may have been a recall.. I will say that my father's tacoma had seizing in one of the fronts, and with the one i just picked up, ripped caliper boot and corrosion was starting on the piston.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts