Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
06 Corolla-S
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would I be correct in assuming these late modle corollas have a electronic throttle?
And thats why there's a split second reaction delay.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I think the 06s all have electronic throttle, but I could be wrong.

My 04 Highlander has electronic throttle (I'm also pretty sure, not 100%) and I feel no difference when driving moderately. However, downshifting does come with a slight delay, a delay slightly longer than my Camry or Corolla, though I think the delay is more due to the transmission, not the drive-by-wire system.

·
Registered
497 Posts
05-06 Corollas have electronic throttle also known as drive by wire

·
459 Posts
HammerDown said:
Would I be correct in assuming these late modle corollas have a electronic throttle?
And thats why there's a split second reaction delay.
All models except the XRS, I believe........me thinkst the XRS is still cable.

·
Registered
497 Posts
04 and older uses cable type throttle.

·
Registered
06 Corolla-S
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys...so this slight delay thing is normal? I only notice if I'm sitting at idle and give the engine some juice or when I start out in 1'st gear from a stop.

·
Registered
497 Posts
HammerDown said:
Thanks for the replys...so this slight delay thing is normal? I only notice if I'm sitting at idle and give the engine some juice or when I start out in 1'st gear from a stop.
Actually I find the drive by wire more responsive than the cable type. My 06's throttle is instantanious when I step on it.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
I've driven a few vehicles with electronic throttle and didn't like them too much.

There's a position where it feels like the computer can't decide whether the throttle is pressed or not. The result is that the engine pulls for about half a sec, stops for half a sec, pulls for half a sec, and stops. It's really annoying because it makes the vehicle really jerky. This only happens at lower speeds, slightly faster than driving around in idle. The only remedy is to push the throttle a bit more or release it all together.

I don't know if this is a problem with Toyotas, but it annoyed the heck outta me when driving.

·
Registered
497 Posts
touringcamry said:
I've driven a few vehicles with electronic throttle and didn't like them too much.

There's a position where it feels like the computer can't decide whether the throttle is pressed or not. The result is that the engine pulls for about half a sec, stops for half a sec, pulls for half a sec, and stops. It's really annoying because it makes the vehicle really jerky. This only happens at lower speeds, slightly faster than driving around in idle. The only remedy is to push the throttle a bit more or release it all together.

I don't know if this is a problem with Toyotas, but it annoyed the heck outta me when driving.

I know what you mean. My 02 Camry V6 was like that. But the 06 corolla doesn't seem to do it.

·
Registered
06 Corolla-S
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
touringcamry said:

I agree with the above but again, my issue is only coming off (idle). Just a second delay then it's good.
I also notice, if I carefully try to raise the idle slooooowly there won't be a responce for a second, then it climbs up. Kind of a pain with a stick from a dead stop...but I'm getting use to it > I feather the throttle :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
There have been similar complaints with the 02+ Camrys with manual transmission where the throttle doesn't close for a sec after letting go of the pedal. I dont think it's isolated to Corollas. The Camrys have electronic throttles starting in 02 so I would suspect that's the culprit.

·
2005 Corolla XRS
309 Posts
My XRS has a cable throttle :)

Non XRS corollas (S and CE) are throttle by wire, which sucks. I can definately feel the lag.

·
459 Posts
357wheelgunner said:
My XRS has a cable throttle :)

Non XRS corollas (S and CE) are throttle by wire, which sucks. I can definately feel the lag.
I don't particularly notice lag in my '05 S ....... what I DO notice is a lack of performance parts, presumably due to the damn electronic throttle... :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
2005 Corolla LE
155 Posts
touringcamry said:
There have been similar complaints with the 02+ Camrys with manual transmission where the throttle doesn't close for a sec after letting go of the pedal. I dont think it's isolated to Corollas. The Camrys have electronic throttles starting in 02 so I would suspect that's the culprit.
I've noticed this problem in my '05 LE with the manual transmission. It's not so bad if you slowly let off the gas when shifting gears, but if you quickly lift your foot then it seems to rev for a bit.

·
TN member
80 Posts
I do notice the lag, especially when driving slow such as going over a speed bump, and I apply gas and there is a lag which seems like the trasmission is deciding weather to go in 2nd or 1st. I feel this "bump" jack-rabbit launch whenever the tranny shifts to 1st from any higher gear. Its like [brake]->[slow down to around 10 mph]->[apply gas]->[LAG]->[booom! and the tranny downshifts to 1st]->[experience whip-lash]..

·
Registered
boosted corolla
252 Posts
The ETC (electronic throttle control) is definately at a disadvantage when it comes to performance, but is better economically.

That slight delay you are asking about is from the ETC. It sucks performance wise... period. Thats why they didnt put it in the XRS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts