Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is most noticeable when coasting which led us to believe it was in the driveline. The dealership did the obvious: checked tires/wheels, replaced drive shaft/u-joints, and replaced carrier bearing. Toyota had them change (decrease) the pinion angle. Nothing worked. I am taking the truck to them when I leave town for a week. Toyota will tell them which steps to take. I'll update when this is resolved.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I have taken mine back also (06 Tundra Dcab) XSP, initially did it at 40-60 now it does it at 50-66, had drive shaft replaced (not sure about u-joints), dealer told me they balanced it by phase matching, still vibrating. Let me know if it works. I currently have 7500 miles. It is only noticiable when tires are cold Pirelli 295/45/60

·
D1Boz
122 Posts
Mine does it around 50 - 80. It doesn't vibrate but has like a roaring/rubbing noise that sounds like from the drivetrain. I took it in and I couldn't get it to do it (surprise, surprise) and he said that it might be the tires but I had the same on my Tacoma so I don't think it is it. I'm going to drive it awhile and see what it does. No effects just annoying sound. Let us know what they find out.

·
D1Boz
122 Posts
tipup said:
I have the same roaring sound and vibration. I saw somewhere on the web that they might have a problem with tire slippage on the TRD Edition rims.
Keep us informed with what you find out. I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't the road that we travel on here. We have a Honda Pilot and I noticed almost the same noise from it on that road and I know there isn't anything wrong with it. We also went to NC and the Tundra didn't make the noise on those roads there. Maybe it is part tires and part pavement making my noise. We'll see. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked the truck up today to drive until the diff comes in. The mech showed me the fluid sample that came out of the original tranny (1500 miles total) and it was dark brown/purple. Looked old or bad to us, like a clutch pack burnt. The original tranny and TC was shipped back to SE Toyota as well as a bottle of the fluid for Toyota to anylize. The saga continues...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Toyota replaced the differential. The problem is still there and it's worse now. The only thing left is the rear end assy, including axles. We are waiting on Toyota engineers to inspect it and make a determination. Toyota has over $7500 in expenses tring to fix this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bradf said:
This is most noticeable when coasting which led us to believe it was in the driveline. The dealership did the obvious: checked tires/wheels, replaced drive shaft/u-joints, and replaced carrier bearing. Toyota had them change (decrease) the pinion angle. Nothing worked. I am taking the truck to them when I leave town for a week. Toyota will tell them which steps to take. I'll update when this is resolved.
06 Tundra DC 4x4 vibrates at 50-60 mph. I haven't taken it in yet. Noticed it at 5 miles, now 6000+ still there. (very slight vibration)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Toyota replaced the entire drive train using another 06. Everything from the engine back, including the whole rear end and tires were removed and replaced and the problem is still there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Toyota has bought it back. The factory rep could not find the cause. It also vibrated at 48 MPH. Toyota was very good about this. The bought my aftermarket Pioneer radio, MB Quartz speakers and bedliner at 100% cost. They even paid the intrest on all 8 payments. I only pay a mileage usage fee that is in accordance with the state lemon law.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's great that they did that for you. It's reassuring to see Toyota taking responsibility for their mistakes. :)

bradf said:
Toyota has bought it back. The factory rep could not find the cause. It also vibrated at 48 MPH. Toyota was very good about this. The bought my aftermarket Pioneer radio, MB Quartz speakers and bedliner at 100% cost. They even paid the intrest on all 8 payments. I only pay a mileage usage fee that is in accordance with the state lemon law.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.