Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an 18 Camry but I’m helping somebody else who has an 07. I was working on the car the other day changing snow tires and noticed that the lateral control arm bracket in the back on one side is about ready to come apart. He’s in the position financially right now not to go and junk it yadda yadda, you know the story. The rusted out bracket is the one welded on the car body itself, the one on the front end of the link.
I did a lot of looking around the net including the Toyota OEM List and find nothing so I am pretty sure its part of the car body and unavailable. Has anyone fixed or repaired one of those and if so how, where did you get the bracket Or did you fabricate it? That looks like the only answer to me. It sucks fixing something that probably should be junked but oh well such are the times. I know a guy who has a lift and plenty of welding talent and does many of the things others won’t touch. Still, if there’s a bracket available........... any info appreciated.

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
1,344 Posts
When you say "the one on the front end of the link," do you maybe mean the trailing arm? That rod is oriented front-to-back on the car, as opposed to the lateral links, oriented driver to passenger side. I think I'm seeing the gas tank in your pic (to the right of the mount & arm), so I'm thinking that if it's the forward trailing arm mount, it is (originally) integrally fabricated into the frame/body. I would guess that welding is your best answer, even though I'm a big fan of epoxy/fiberglass composites. Once that arm tears loose, the driver is going to have some real control problems under braking in particular.

If your friend has pickup or truck experience, it's not much different than a spring mount. I know those are sold separately by they tend to be bolted or welded to the side of the box frame, rather than more or less embedded in a relatively flat area like the floor of the car.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say "the one on the front end of the link," do you maybe mean the trailing arm? That rod is oriented front-to-back on the car, as opposed to the lateral links, oriented driver to passenger side. I think I'm seeing the gas tank in your pic (to the right of the mount & arm), so I'm thinking that if it's the forward trailing arm mount, it is (originally) integrally fabricated into the frame/body. I would guess that welding is your best answer, even though I'm a big fan of epoxy/fiberglass composites. Once that arm tears loose, the driver is going to have some real control problems under braking in particular.

If your friend has pickup or truck experience, it's not much different than a spring mount. I know those are sold separately by they tend to be bolted or welded to the side of the box frame, rather than more or less embedded in a relatively flat area like the floor of the car.
Yea that’s it . Comes off the body just inside the Detent where the rear jack point is. It is welded to the underside and one side saddles around the unitbody onto the recess the gas tank sits. I’ve made a couple of those pickup shackles, even an entire Franken-cab Mount myself a few years back for a buddy. That wasn’t so hard but easier to get at sitting in a driveway.
I’m thinking the best bet would be to grind flat the entire mount and leave the beefy clean base . Then weld a simple U bracket right where the old one was right on top of the base of the old . That’s would be easy BUT I don’t even think this mount is anything but a hollow shell stamping with the small flange around the perimeter which sucks. Welding something Iike an 1/8” bracket to nothing but the crap sheet metal floor sucks as well. I would make him up the bracket but welding 1/8” out of position laying flat on my back is a tough job . On a lift not so ugly but from a floor jack , too. Lose and upside down is too rich for my pay grade. That’s the mark of a professional welder and I’m just a talented hobby guy without $3000 worth of welder.
Anyways that’s why I was hoping for someone to point me towards some place I couldn’t find on line who sold a repair bracket. In the end though I doubt it would be much easier / better than just making one. I’m not much familiar with that type suspension even though I’ve got it myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
1,344 Posts
Via my usual bizarre Googling, I found this: you might look into a bolt-on rear trailing arm bracket for the e46 BMW - Rear Trailing Arm Bracket - Left

That's just for the pic - other people sell the part for around the same $27. More pix and some dimensions are here, as well: Sealed Spherical Trailing Arm Bushing - E46Fanatics

(That BMW thread has the word "Camry" in it, which is how it came to my attention -- I had been looking for pictures or videos that showed an unrusted 07 Camry arm mount for reference, but never found one. I don't think my 01 Avalon mount has the protective ramp on the front of the 07 Camry one in your pic, and it's too wet and rainy for me to go outside to photograph mine anyway).

·
Registered
127 Posts
A good shop can fab a bracket and weld it on for a decent price. call around and ask machine shops and the like.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea that’s gonna be the deal, fab it. Heck it’s only a square bracket , pretty simple really. It’s putting it on that’s the hard part. I know the guy yo fo it too. He’s a freelancer who lives just Across the Canadian border near here. He’s great and works cheap, a really good guy too. Trouble is they shut down the borders . No going there unless you’re a daily commuter at a time when everyone is sitting on their rumps . That’s unless you want to stay there for 14 days in isolation. Oh well , I guess it’s gonna wait until The Wuhan Flue leaves for summer vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts