Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have an 07 Camry that has about 68k miles on it. It just started throwing a PO161 diagnostic code, which if I understand correctly, is an O2 sensor on Bank 2 Sensor 2. I called the dealership and they said the part is going to run about $150 and then I'll have labor on top of that. Can this sensor easilly be changed? On a Camry, which sensor is bank 2 sensor 2? Can I get the sensor from a local auto store instead of the dealership?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Munky Puke

·
Registered
24 Posts
Most cars will have bank1 to be the left side of the engine while looking at it head-on (from the accessory belt-side). This would mean bank2 should be the side of the engine closer to the radiator. Sensor 2 is a post-cat sensor and is typically located immediately after the catalytic converter screwed into a bung on the tail pipe.
Auto parts stores will sell you a generic sensor two ways. One will plug into the factory harness and fit into your bung (hehe) with no additional work required. The other (typically $50 cheaper) will require you to cut the existing sensor wire and spice the new sensor onto the existing wire. I have used the cheaper approach thrice and have had no issues.

Best of luck! I don't know how your v6 is laid out in the engine bay since I have a 4cyl... but suffice to say that this same sensor on an '02 jag requires about 5 hours of skilled labor to replace! On my mazda 4cyl, it took about 15 minutes. Really depends on whether or not you can access it. Also consider getting some liquid wrench if it's tough to get near - after a number of miles those things will rust-weld themselves into place.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts