Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AtoyotNoob
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please bear w/ a noob here. My car downshifts quite abruptly and slows down significantly during coasting. It doesn't allow me to coast smoothly then brake let's say to a red light, it'll slown down to the point that I feel it'll come to a full stop if I don't give it some gas and even if I don't step on the brakes. When I allow it to slown down like this it then has a hard time "recovering" for acceleration. It also has this strange habit of "surging" when I lighten up on the brake pedal during braking, i.e. I have to exert constant and strong pressure while braking otherwise i'll feel a surge of speed. Thanks for your opinions before I call the dealer service dept.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I've experienced some or all of what you're saying but nothing real abrupt.
Just a difference from other vehicles when driven
It took awhile to get used to.
If you're uncomfortable with it call your service dept to check things out.

·
SEcond Rate Products
406 Posts
really depends from what speeds you're talking about.. on the highway, mine will coast forever seemingly, and down around school zone speeds it'll do the same.

between that it seems to engine brake a lot (which is ok with me), and yes there is a bit of a surge when you let off the brakes, but thats because when you're on the brakes you're not just slowing the car, you're holding the engine back.

if you've never driven a car with a large(r) displacement engine and an automatic, this might be alien to you, but it's like that in most cars with large(r) displacement engines and autos.

in my experience anyway.

·
SEcond Rate Products
406 Posts
and wtf, they told me that they don't make SE V6's in blue ribbon metallic... those lying bastages!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
repocop said:
and wtf, they told me that they don't make SE V6's in blue ribbon metallic... those lying bastages!
repo
When buying a vehicle you must do the research.;) :)

·
AtoyotNoob
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
repocop said:
really depends from what speeds you're talking about.. on the highway, mine will coast forever seemingly, and down around school zone speeds it'll do the same.

between that it seems to engine brake a lot (which is ok with me), and yes there is a bit of a surge when you let off the brakes, but thats because when you're on the brakes you're not just slowing the car, you're holding the engine back.

if you've never driven a car with a large(r) displacement engine and an automatic, this might be alien to you, but it's like that in most cars with large(r) displacement engines and autos.

in my experience anyway.
We do have an 05 Honda Odyssey V6 and automatic, and it coasts smoothly with no engine braking that's why the difference is bugging me. I'd like to be able to coast smoothly towards a stop so I can save some gas but my Camry doesn't like to that, it seems to want more gas!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
silverpilot03 said:
We do have an 05 Honda Odyssey V6 and automatic, and it coasts smoothly with no engine braking that's why the difference is bugging me. I'd like to be able to coast smoothly towards a stop so I can save some gas but my Camry doesn't like to that, it seems to want more gas!
Most likely the 6 speed trans is the difference.
A 22-31 MPG rating.

·
SEcond Rate Products
406 Posts
Joe B said:
repo
When buying a vehicle you must do the research.;) :)
i did, and the inventory managers all told me the same story "Toyota doesn't put V6's in the Blue SE's without it being a special order from the factory, which will take 6 to 8 months (at the time, early last summer)"

oh well. i like the red.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
repocop said:
i did, and the inventory managers all told me the same story "Toyota doesn't put V6's in the Blue SE's without it being a special order from the factory, which will take 6 to 8 months (at the time, early last summer)"

oh well. i like the red.
They probably looked on the computer and saw none were coming their way.
Or maybe that was a fact early.

The red is nice.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Joe B said:
Most likely the 6 speed trans is the difference.
A 22-31 MPG rating.
Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner!

The close ratio of the 6-speed requires more gear changing than the old 3 & 4-speed automatics of years gone by... This results in greater perception/feeling the transmission's activities, such as down shifting.

Think about it a little bit... Both a 6-speed and 4-speed automatic have nearly identical finish ratios, but the 4-speed shifts 3 times to get there and the 6-speed shifts 5 times... Where a 4-speed would normally downshift one gear, there could be up to 2 or 3 gears changes with the 6-speed.

FWIW - I never tried this with my 6-speed, but apparently the AI function of the U660E is disabled when in S-mode... Shift the car to S, leave it in 6th gear and drive it. Do you notice the same downshifting?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Take a little time to get used to the new 6-speed automatic. But I have no complaints. I appreciate the 6 gear technology.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.