Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been beating to death but I'm hoping I can find someone that has measured the backspacing of and/or is running the '07 FJ TRD 16" wheels with just a coil over lift, hopefully even the Donahoe Coil Overs (set at the preset height) just to be an exact match to what I want to do. I went down to my local dealer today and they had the silver TRD wheels in stock so I measured them on the counter and they came up with 5" backspacing compared to the 5.5" backspacing on my stock 17" alloys.

Everything I read says you need 4.5" backspacing to clear 285/75R16 tires on the '07 Taco 4WD and I want to be sure these TRD wheels will work before I lay down the cash. Can any of you with these wheels and a similar suspension setup on the Taco please confirm the backspacing and clearance of 285/75R16s?

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
yes, the the fj trd rims have 4.5in back spacing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
docindahouze said:
yes, the the fj trd rims have 4.5in back spacing.
I'm just curious how you measured them? I came up with 5" of backspacing when I measured the wheel at the dealer. Do you measure from the mounting surface to the complete outer edge of the wheel?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wheel measurements website

I found a good website on measuring wheels...

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

no doubt the TRD FJ wheel I measured was 5" backspacing, maybe that is OK for mounting the 285 tires on the '05+ Tacos without rub?

·
Registered
06RERUNNER SPORT
87 Posts
Well you are infact beating a dead horse ,, There are multiple 05 and up trucks with these wheels and 285's on the trucks,,, i have them on my 06 pre runner with racerunners set at just over 2"......

·
forget about "tsb's"
5,418 Posts
[QUOTEWell you are infact beating a dead horse ,, There are multiple 05 and up trucks with these wheels and 285's on the trucks,,, i have them on my 06 pre runner with racerunners set at just over 2"......[/QUOTE]
you know the snow melted, you can drive your truck around now...:D
i'm gonna post some pics of my truck today so, stick around for the flame fest.....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TucsonTaco said:
I'm definelty running those wheels and 285s with absolutely no issues.
awesome looking Taco BTW, I'm thinking the 5" backspacing is OK to clear the 285's...the stock 265 tire is supposed to be 10.5" wide and the 285 11.25" wide. If I gain the 1/2" clearance with the TRD wheel offset that should actually give me a little more clearance since only half the additional tire width, roughly 3/8", is going to the inside of the wheel, does this sound about right?

looks like you are running 3" lift roughly, just OME and a small spacer right? how do you like your setup? I've got the TRD package and am thinking I'll just run the OME springs on my TRD struts and if I don't like the ride spring for the OME struts later.

·
Official Newb
2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD
1,210 Posts
i don't think tucsontaco has experienced any rubbing from his setup, with no trimming, but mudflaps removed. that size tire and the trd fj wheels will fit, and may or may not rub, but only minor trimming is prolly all that would be needed.

however, the only wheeling tucsontaco does is at the mall :saythat:, so more trimming may be needed if you will be flexing it out

·
SUBLMNL
05 JEEP TJ
159 Posts
McJohn said:
Everything I read says you need 4.5" backspacing to clear 285/75R16 tires on the '07 Taco 4WD and I want to be sure these TRD wheels will work before I lay down the cash. Can any of you with these wheels and a similar suspension setup on the Taco please confirm the backspacing and clearance of 285/75R16s?
I am running the FJ TRD's and 285's no rubbing!
Pics-----> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2488705

·
Registered
06RERUNNER SPORT
87 Posts
6shooter said:
you know the snow melted, you can drive your truck around now...:D
i'm gonna post some pics of my truck today so, stick around for the flame fest.....
Well its just the cheap azz pro comp's that gave me the snow traction issues,,,,,,,

Ya flame fest.....yours looks like it has been flamed and then put out,,,,:lol:

·
Insitu Taco
06 Taco D-Cab Sport
463 Posts
TucsonTRD said:
i don't think tucsontaco has experienced any rubbing from his setup, with no trimming, but mudflaps removed. that size tire and the trd fj wheels will fit, and may or may not rub, but only minor trimming is prolly all that would be needed.

however, the only wheeling tucsontaco does is at the mall :saythat:, so more trimming may be needed if you will be flexing it out
OUCH!!!!! I might cry now... :D

Remember the sig... pre-est fakerunner in AZ... that about sums it all up... :D

·
Insitu Taco
06 Taco D-Cab Sport
463 Posts
McJohn said:
awesome looking Taco BTW, I'm thinking the 5" backspacing is OK to clear the 285's...the stock 265 tire is supposed to be 10.5" wide and the 285 11.25" wide. If I gain the 1/2" clearance with the TRD wheel offset that should actually give me a little more clearance since only half the additional tire width, roughly 3/8", is going to the inside of the wheel, does this sound about right?

looks like you are running 3" lift roughly, just OME and a small spacer right? how do you like your setup? I've got the TRD package and am thinking I'll just run the OME springs on my TRD struts and if I don't like the ride spring for the OME struts later.
sounds about right... but I really have no idea what I'm talking about..... :D

You're right. I'm running a 3" OME springs in the front and the alcan AAL in the rear with extended length OME shocks. I might upgrade the front shocks in the future, but I'm pleased with the ride so far. (It's been about a week now.)

·
SUBLMNL
05 JEEP TJ
159 Posts
McJohn said:
awesome looking truck...

how do you like the skyjacker suspension? do you have any pics of the front suspension?
here is the install on my lift.
http://www.4x4review.com/products/suspension/skyjacker-taco.asp
I have not had any issues with the lift, it still rides great. Since the price of this lift is only about $50-$100 than some of the spacer lifts I think its well worth the extra cash.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06-Toyota-Tacoma-3-Skyjacker-NEW-STRUT-Lift-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33585QQhashZitem230079956129QQihZ013QQitemZ230079956129QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
va beach taco said:
here is the install on my lift.
http://www.4x4review.com/products/suspension/skyjacker-taco.asp
I have not had any issues with the lift, it still rides great. Since the price of this lift is only about $50-$100 than some of the spacer lifts I think its well worth the extra cash.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06-Toyota-Tacoma-3-Skyjacker-NEW-STRUT-Lift-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33585QQhashZitem230079956129QQihZ013QQitemZ230079956129QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

that ebay seller has the kit with rear leaf packs for $651, seems like a good price for new struts and leaf packs, add the shocks for the back and you've got a pretty good price for a front/rear non-spacer lift.

curious how it works though, is it just the spring seat is a little higher than stock adding preload to the factory coils? I'm assuming it will work with the TRD coils as well as the non-TRD coils (as it looks like you have to use your factory coils).

·
SUBLMNL
05 JEEP TJ
159 Posts
McJohn said:
that ebay seller has the kit with rear leaf packs for $651, seems like a good price for new struts and leaf packs, add the shocks for the back and you've got a pretty good price for a front/rear non-spacer lift.

curious how it works though, is it just the spring seat is a little higher than stock adding preload to the factory coils? I'm assuming it will work with the TRD coils as well as the non-TRD coils (as it looks like you have to use your factory coils).
Yes you use the factory springs, this is suppose the help retain some of the factory ride and also keep the price down. The struts are a bit longer and the spring seat is higher than stock.
I have been thinking of swapping out my Skyjacker rear shocks and getting the resivoir type, and yes for looks for the most part, there is nothing wrong with what I have now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So can you run these with 285's with no lift?????

I just got my Tacoma DC 4x4 this weekend and alreadt bought these rims. I want to go with a little bigger size then 265/75/16 which is what Toyota puts on for the FJ.

·
Insitu Taco
06 Taco D-Cab Sport
463 Posts
Greased said:
So can you run these with 285's with no lift?????

I just got my Tacoma DC 4x4 this weekend and alreadt bought these rims. I want to go with a little bigger size then 265/75/16 which is what Toyota puts on for the FJ.
No, you'll have massive amounts of rubbing with 285s and no lift...... I think :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts